Would you like an EU Referendum?

Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

I remember the referendum party who's plan I believe was to win the election, get us out of the EU, make it legally binding, then immediately hold another general election. They got 800.000 votes in the election in 1997 but didn't get a seat in the house of commons.

and the next government would take us straight back in.

anyway, it would take years to negotiate an exit from the eu which at the very least gave us a fighting chance of maintaining some sort of trading relationship

.I'm sure a party governing a Britain not in the EU could bring in a 48 hour legal working limit for instance, if it wanted to.

yes but then all the governments we've had for the last 30 years have been dedicated to removing workers rights

and the next government would take us straight back in.

When we finally get out of the EU any party that even suggests considering rejoining will get wiped out at the polls.

anyway, it would take years to negotiate an exit from the eu which at the very least gave us a fighting chance of maintaining some sort of trading relationship

We buy more from the EU than we sell, it's in their interests to affect a speedy transition from EU dominance to a free trade agreement.

When we finally get out of the EU any party that even suggests considering rejoining will get wiped out at the polls.

maybe, maybe not

We buy more from the EU than we sell, it's in their interests to affect a speedy transition from EU dominance to a free trade agreement.

perhaps, but where else would be get it from and at what price? in the short term, at least, we'd be stuffed.

and for trade the other way, i'm sure all the remaining eu nations would welcome the chance to fill the gap left by our exports

and free trade requires some commonality of law so, like norway and switzerland we have to implement eu law but have no say in how it's made.

perhaps, but where else would be get it from and at what price? in the short term, at least, we'd be stuffed.

and for trade the other way, i'm sure all the remaining eu nations would welcome the chance to fill the gap left by our exports

and free trade requires some commonality of law so, like norway and switzerland we have to implement eu law but have no say in how it's made.

It would not be an issue as trade would carry on as normal until a new free trade agreement was sorted out.

Free trade requires commonality of law with respect to implementing free trade, nothing more.

Archived