Would you like an EU Referendum?

Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

they should indeed start at day one, but at least they get those rights after 12 weeks whereas the alternative would be not to have them at all
so why do you think its ok for someone in say france gets them from day one and someone here has to work 12 weeks ?

In law, no. A referendum in the UK is not legally binding.

In practice, though, is another question. If a government held a referendum on subject X, a large majority voted in favour, and the government refused to pass it - how well do you think that government would fare at the next election?

holding a referendum would require a law to be passed and that could make the result binding but doing so would destroy pretty much any chance of negotiating an exit which didn't cripple the uk economy.

pity the eu laws didnt protect agency workers when it comes to being given the same rights as "workers". any agency worker working in this country has to work for 12 weeks before being given the same rights. yet any agency worker working in the eu (outside england) these same rights start from day one :loopy:

I fully agree with you. This is an example of British employment law at its worst. Tony Blairs [Labour ????] government wasn't much better. My employer uses agency workers a lot. They are treat like crap, sent home at a minutes notice, no guarantee of hours etc. My employer would treat us the same if it weren't for different contracts, but the Torys have designs on getting rid of these as well.

For working the same hours, doing the same work, an agency worker is well over £100 a week worse off than us. He gets less holidays as well, it's pathetic. WE NEED MORE EUROPEAN LAW, NOT LESS !!!!!

UKIP are only Torys under another name, they only have one policy - EUROPE. They couldn't govern even if they were elected.

Our Trade Unions are totally useless as well, they have allowed all this to happen. i have only 2 years to retirement, thank God !!!!!

i wasnt getting at you. i meant to ask why do we stand for the 12 week rule when other countries dont ?

Because our country appears to choose which rules to obey and which to disregard. European employment law is far fairer than UK law.

We in the UK only hear about the bad bits of EU law, not the good bits.

i wasnt getting at you. i meant to ask why do we stand for the 12 week rule when other countries dont ?

i believe that it was the previous labour administration that did this, i'm sure one of their apologists will be along shortly to explain why they did this.

I fully agree with you. This is an example of British employment law at its worst. Tony Blairs [Labour ????] government wasn't much better. My employer uses agency workers a lot. They are treat like crap, sent home at a minutes notice, no guarantee of hours etc. My employer would treat us the same if it weren't for different contracts, but the Torys have designs on getting rid of these as well.

For working the same hours, doing the same work, an agency worker is well over £100 a week worse off than us. He gets less holidays as well, it's pathetic. WE NEED MORE EUROPEAN LAW, NOT LESS !!!!!

UKIP are only Torys under another name, they only have one policy - EUROPE. They couldn't govern even if they were elected.

Our Trade Unions are totally useless as well, they have allowed all this to happen. i have only 2 years to retirement, thank God !!!!!

i have another 20 odd years left yet but i can not see this getting any better. more and more companies will be employing temp workers when such as people like you retire. taking away not only job security but leaving them with no chance of getting on the property ladder (will the banks lend money )to someone with no job security. the young people of today will not have the same rights as we once had unless this changes.

I've yet to hear a good argument from anybody anywhere why we should NOT have a referendum. Anybody care to oblige?

There's no need for a referendum, we have General Elections, we elect MP's, they decide. If we dont agree with our MP's stance on Europe, vote him out.....simples...

Archived