Impressions of Sheffield Sharks

desy

Got free tickets to see Sheffield Sharks last night. Good job they were free. Would have thought that I had been robbed if I had paid for the tickets. Use to go and watch Sheffield Unim in the 60's far better. The guy who puts the stupid music on all the time wants sacking. Does noy add anything to the event. The worst I expected was the girly razza mattaz that the Steelers have. But it didn't even match them. gicing handfuls of tickets away to a young lady who could get baskets in a set time, is the only way they can get bodies in. The time they let everyone in varied and the whole set up was less than professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Must say my wife and I have been to see the Sharks a few times and always found it a very enjoyable night out. Music during a game is not to everyone's taste but it is common these days in many sports, including both types of rugby and Ice Hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the sheffield sharks set up is a little lacking as compared to other basketball teams in the bbl today. This is not a post to the detriment of the players - they do a great job, just the operation as a whole. I think that environment is sterile and does not encourage the crowd to get into the game. This could be done a lot better - take Plymouth raiders - when you go to see them play they put on a show - great cheerleaders, well worked out music, a bit of drama and the basketball thrown in for good measure. Basketball should be a great night out - it can be done, but sheffield is lacking

The Sharks entertainment value could be spiced up a little. The dance crew that they bring on at time outs, quater times and half times are nothing to shout about. The routines are the same week in week out and actually come to think of it I have only ever notied them do one routine where the rest of the stuff they do is usually freestyle. The music is starting to change no game nights now though. One of the long time fans noticed how dire it was becoming and offered to stick some tracks together (all different styles and genres) to try and suit everyones taste. It went down a hit the first time he tried it and he now provides the music to the sound guys on most game nights.

I think it's really under-supported. I went today, and haven't been for years. The dancers were very good today, only young girls and all of their stuff was choreographed. I never really see any promotional stuff around town though, and not many there today.

Same here really.

Used to go to Sharks games 4/5 years ago. I think with the cancellation on the Sky TV contract and the high turnover of player personnell, I think the BBL is not in the best state as it has been in previous years. Coupled with the fact that two teams folded in the last few years (Manchester Giants and Derby Storm). The league only has 8 teams in it, which doesn't seem much of a league to me IMO.

The BBL on a whole probably just lacks sponsorship, which is unfortunate. Sorry for going off topic. This post is meant to be about the Sheffield Sharks.

Archived