Arnold Dover - dancer born 1914

dharmo

• 2 years later...

Arnold moved to Durban in the late 50's. He choreographed and stage managed King Kong - a controversial musical with an all black cast - which after opening in Johannesburg came to London. He had 1 son and 4 daughters. I am married to the second daughter. We live in Spain. Arnold and his family moved to London in the mid sixties. He died about 15 years ago. His wife Joy died about a year later. If you would like more details of Arnold's life please contact us through the forum. I am sure that my wife would like to contact you. We have some old photographs from the ballet school in Johannesburg which may be of interest to you.

My mum says she went to the Arnold Dover Dance School from about 1950 to 1955. It was located on Kotze Street in Hillbrow, above the flat where the family lived. She has very fond memories of that time and would love to see your photographs and have more details about Arnold and his life and family.

Please let me know how to contact you. Many thanks.

• 4 years later...

Arnold Dover was my Father.

Classical  trained ballet choreographer.

trained with 

Ninette de Valois Founder of The Royal Ballet School and Companies.

A few years before WW11 he purchased a Rudge Special motorcycle  and rode  across South Africa.

During WW11 Arnold was commissioned Captain and served with the South Africa army entertainment corp.  during this time he met his wife to be Sargent Joyce Hodges.  Comedian Sid James was the best man at their wedding.

Arnold and Joy had 6 children.

After WW11 the Dover family settled in Johannesburg South Africa and opened a Ballet School.

In the late 1950’s the Dover family moved to Isipingo Beach Durban.

Arnold choerographered the hit musical King Kong and traveled to the UK with the show.

Joy and children joined Arnold in the UK in the early 1960’s.

Arnold spent the latter part of his life teaching and as the secretary for the British Ballet.

Arnold and Joy retired to Deal in Kent and both passed in the early 1990’s.