Arnold Dover - dancer born 1914

dharmo

Arnold taught stage lighting at Croydon College of Art when I was a student there, 1969-1972.  I remember him very fondly but I learned zilch about lighting.  Somebody found a second-hand book about the King Kong musical, its tour of Britain and subsequent defections.  I have a battered LP of the musical but I am ashamed that I was so callow in those days and didn't investigate deeper.  I would love to know more.  I recall a brilliant musical excerpt called Swing, which he used as a lighting exercise and I've never been able to find it.

• 8 months later...

Hi Paul 

Very interesting  to hear from one of Arnold Croydon students.

In fact Arnold won a scholarship to train at the Royal Ballet. He did work in around theatre from a young age and although he won dancing competitions, his first paid employment as a young teenager in the mid 1920’s was operating a theatre limelight spot light,  Through out his life he still worked as a choreographer, a stage manager during summer holidays and lighting consultant long after he retired.