Websites: Is content really king?

I'm trying to do all my SEO myself, its hard work though. I'm scaling down and hoping that any new customers I can attract from what I have done so far is enough; I need to focus on getting the product out there and building a reputation to ensure a long term business. I'm not ranked on top 10 pages of google, but at least I can still use social media to get the message out there.

One thing to remember is domain age. If your site is brand new then Google will often 'sanbox' your site, possibly for a few months. This is because scam sites used to come into existence, rocket up the rankings due to black hat SEO, take your money then disappear. To combat this Google will try to ensure your site isn't one of those sites that will come and go, it wants long standing sites that add value to the net.

As your site ages it will naturally rise in the rankings if you continue to add content to it.

One thing to remember is domain age. If your site is brand new then Google will often 'sanbox' your site, possibly for a few months. This is because scam sites used to come into existence, rocket up the rankings due to black hat SEO, take your money then disappear. To combat this Google will try to ensure your site isn't one of those sites that will come and go, it wants long standing sites that add value to the net.

As your site ages it will naturally rise in the rankings if you continue to add content to it.

I reelase new websites just about weekly, and have never had one put in the mythical sandbox yet. Maybe it's just the naughty black hat websites that get sent to the naughty corner!

I reelase new websites just about weekly, and have never had one put in the mythical sandbox yet. Maybe it's just the naughty black hat websites that get sent to the naughty corner!

There is conjecture regarding the sandbox effect, but most people believe Google has something in place that takes into account the age of your site, the cleanness of your code and the number of backlinks you have when you go live.

From what I understand there may be a reverse sandbox where Google will give you a temporary boost in the SERPS if your new site is clean and has no external backlinks then you first go live. Again this is as much debated as the original sandbox theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_effect

I'm no professional SEO guy, I just take an interest in it.

is content really king?

Yes

The last few updates by Google (panda + penguin) have mainly been target at sites trying to get them to do exactly that. In short Google hates SEO (it messes with their results!). That said you’re always going to need some on-page SEO or you will be lost. Google doesn’t want sites with poor quality (spammy sites), if your competition falls into this then don’t worry, be patient as they will slowly fall down the listing.

Anyway going back to content, the more quality (not quantity) you publish the more natural inbound links you will get. This is one of if not the most important factors in Google’s rankings.

Also if you have video on your site try looking into rich snippets, this can generate some great quality traffic as well.

Archived