Does your bank rip you off?

Can anybody recommend a bank that doesnt charge you a disproportionate sum of money for going overdrawn?

For example, First Direct wanted to charge me £150 for going overdrawn by £47. This was because you get charged £25 per transaction when overdrawn.

I made 6 separate small transactions (foolishly) not realising I was overdrawn. I did manage to beat them down to a £50 charge but want to swap to a decent bank. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry but if someone is liable for certain charges (like being overdrawn), then it's their fault for mis-managing their money.

How hard is it to keep an eye on your cash?

To an extent. But how much does an unauthorised overdraft actually cost a bank? Do the charges some banks have reflect this?

Whoever you decide to bank with, it might be prudent to arrange an authorised overdraft and that could save you SOME charges, but you'll still get ripped off.

The Halifax have put their mortgage interest rates up despite the Chancellor keeping them down! So I don't recommend them to anyone.

My bank has always been top notch with me - as far as I know anyway. Maybe that's because we never go into the red?.

Angel.

i want a top notch bank which one is it, Halifax is making an absolute fortune out of me

Archived