Best reply yet to "road tax" stupidity

For every Km of motorway alone in the UK, the government makes over £200,000 per year in tax.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/aboutus/documents/crs_543267.pdf

According to this FOI request you are looking at nearly £7 million / lane for each Km of motorway built. Makes that £200K look a bit like small fry.

Good job roads aren't directly paid for by a "Road tax".

Yes and does this happen? Not even on here with the many different threads on the subject. no one has said people should be denied access to cross roads. That's plain stupid.

The fact remains VED was road tax. Its a tax by another name and the argument many have is tantamount to the deception.

That's what he said

"It's a TAX.

If you don't pay it, you go to PRISON.

That is all.

You do not get ANYTHING in return.

The END."

The fact remains VED was road tax. Its a tax by another name and the argument many have is tantamount to the deception.

Is there any other service where where many pay to use it but others get free access?

I cannot think of one, but since roads is not such a service either it's a completely irrelevant question.

That was, of course, the whole point of the guy who made that post quoted in the OP, but it seems to have passed you by.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/aboutus/documents/crs_543267.pdf

According to this FOI request you are looking at nearly £7 million / lane for each Km of motorway built. Makes that £200K look a bit like small fry.

Good job roads aren't directly paid for by a "Road tax".

Apparently it costs every UK tax payer 20-40p per year to maintain the road system. Compared to £200-£300 to maintain the rail network.

I cannot think of one, but since roads is not such a service either it's a completely irrelevant question.

That was, of course, the whole point of the guy who made that post quoted in the OP, but it seems to have passed you by.

I think this is why there is such disparity when it comes to this tax/license etc. Many pay while others do not. It does come across as unfair for those reasons.

Personally I think many of the arguments boil down to cars vs cyclists and the latters freedom to flout the road laws with immunity as they are unidentifiable. This is the crux of many car drivers annoyances.

I think rad tax should be scrapped and the tax added to fuel. This way you pay for what you use. Cycles should also have a unique method of identifying them so when they do cause accidents or break the law, they can be prosecuted and would stop giving other cyclists a bad name. but I think thats a whole other thread.

Is that the cost simply of maintaining the network, or does it include the cost of buying and running the trains?

I think that was maintenance, but I may be wrong. Doing a quick google, It seems to be around £4 billion a year to maintain the UK railways. If this includes rolling stock I dont know.

I can, pretty much any council sports service, public transport, education,

I was saying his comments are stupid. Who in their right mind would compare children crossing the road with cars?
I would hold back on accusing people of making stupid comments if I was you. :hihi:

Do you always take everything so literal, is black and white all you see life in?

Archived