Best reply yet to "road tax" stupidity

I think this is why there is such disparity when it comes to this tax/license etc. Many pay while others do not. It does come across as unfair for those reasons.

Personally I think many of the arguments boil down to cars vs cyclists and the latters freedom to flout the road laws with immunity as they are unidentifiable. This is the crux of many car drivers annoyances.

I think rad tax should be scrapped and the tax added to fuel. This way you pay for what you use. Cycles should also have a unique method of identifying them so when they do cause accidents or break the law, they can be prosecuted and would stop giving other cyclists a bad name. but I think thats a whole other thread.

Review that comment, and maybe, just maybe, you'll see why you find having conversations with cyclists difficult

I think this is why there is such disparity when it comes to this tax/license etc. Many pay while others do not. It does come across as unfair for those reasons.

Personally I think many of the arguments boil down to cars vs cyclists and the latters freedom to flout the road laws with immunity as they are unidentifiable. This is the crux of many car drivers annoyances.

I think rad tax should be scrapped and the tax added to fuel. This way you pay for what you use. Cycles should also have a unique method of identifying them so when they do cause accidents or break the law, they can be prosecuted and would stop giving other cyclists a bad name. but I think thats a whole other thread.

Firstly some CAR owners do not pay VED because they own cars which 'pollute' less.

Secondly I see drivers flouting the law daily on my commute without prosecution. Where's your rant about these?

Thirdly, registering individual cycles would be un-enforcable and so costly to administer it would never become law. I agree that maybe compulsory 3rd part insurance would be a good idea similar to what is offered by the CTC when you join then you can take the car driver to court who pulled out of a side road without looking for example :)

Maybe the problem of uninsured/untaxed drivers should be sorted first before you pick on cyclists.

rad tax??? Is that similar to road tax? Do cyclists have to pay rad tax?

Semantics. Most vehicles are levied with VED. Most vehicles also need roads to drive on. Hence why it is commonly called "road tax".

Not semantics at all. VED is not a fee paid to be allowed to use roads. It is a fee paid to be allowed to operate certain ve-hicles.

Sorry about the last bit. I lived in Texas for a year.

WeX=Sam1970. Do I win five pounds?

Archived