Who might as well be on the dole?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17702654

Tanker drivers, teachers, Tube drivers - 2012 has been dominated by the threat of key workers striking in the UK. But is it possible to identify which group of workers is the most vital?

Tanker drivers are still locked in negotiations with employers, weeks after speculation about strikes caused panic buying and long queues on petrol station forecourts.

The episode brought back memories of the fuel crisis of 2000 and raised concerns about how dependent the UK is on a small number of strategically important workers.

Similar worries arose when it was reported that Tube drivers had reached a highly advantageous pay deal for working during the Olympics.

And teachers are threatening to strike this summer in a move that will force some parents to take time off work.

Such disruption raises the question of which group of workers the country couldn't do without. So how would one go about judging who the UK's most essential workers are?

One test - obvious in a free market economy - would be pay.

"The essential workers are really the entrepreneurs creating the wealth which is used to pay for public services - if they left, there wouldn't be a strike but there would be a brain drain," says Richard Wellings, deputy editorial director of the Institute of Economic Affairs.

But not everybody is convinced.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It's unlikely that if Tesco workers went on strike, Sainsbury's workers would also be on strike”

Tim Leunig

LSE

"You could argue that the people who are most essential are those who are the best paid," says Dr Tim Leunig, an economic historian at the London School of Economics. "This would mean hedge fund bosses. But that argument is obviously bonkers."

Who might as well be on the dole?

What jobs don't we need?

I reckon we could throw millions onto the dole and till maintain a high standard of living.

If we were to fire 2 mortgage advisors and an estate agent and employ 1 street cleaner/gardener instead...

I don't think you'll find many estate agency firms willing to do that, so it's a fairly meaningless suggestion.

Scrap HomeBuy/FirstBuy and employ street cleaners instead, they are running on government subsidy. Many things are.

This is an age old question. Personally I don't think we'd miss half the civil service ABOVE a certain grade. Let's get rid of a few Sir Humphries.

Actually, while we're at it we could lose about 150 MP's without missing them. Change a few boundaries, and Hey Presto.

NHS managers need a good sort out too. Do we really need more managers than we have patients?

My sister is a full time senior care worker & her wages are disgusting - £9500 pa. She's actually been told by the DSS that she'd be better off financially on the dole. But she really loves her job and really cares for the elderly so she sticks with it. This is certainly one job that we can't do without and they really should be paid what they're worth.

My sister is a full time senior care worker & her wages are disgusting - £9500 pa. She's actually been told by the DSS that she'd be better off financially on the dole. But she really loves her job and really cares for the elderly so she sticks with it. This is certainly one job that we can't do without and they really should be paid what they're worth.

My sister-in-law works in a care home for elderly women. She loves the job, but like your sister, isn't paid very well. Caring jobs have always been undervalued and underpaid probably because mainly women are employed in the role. I don't see those jobs as unskilled, yet they are paid a similar rate to cleaners.

My sister-in-law works in a care home for elderly women. She loves the job, but like your sister, isn't paid very well. Caring jobs have always been undervalued and underpaid probably because mainly women are employed in the role. I don't see those jobs as unskilled, yet they are paid a similar rate to cleaners.

Caring for our old is something that only a certain type of person can do.

The rate of pay they get is disgusting when you think what they do each day.

I take my hat off to anyone who is able to do such a job.

You might want to tell her to check that out because £9,500 for a full time job is less then National Minimum Wage and therefore illegal.

Archived