Who might as well be on the dole?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17702654

Who might as well be on the dole?

What jobs don't we need?

I reckon we could throw millions onto the dole and till maintain a high standard of living.

If we were to fire 2 mortgage advisors and an estate agent and employ 1 street cleaner/gardener instead...

Essential services first, then entrepreneurs. The rest we dont need. Estate agents, journalists, politicians those kind of people.

Scrap HomeBuy/FirstBuy and employ street cleaners instead, they are running on government subsidy. Many things are.
Amazing, this is turning into a housing thread.

Who'd have believed it. Mind you, it's a pretty good buyers' market now, an ideal time to buy more property and rent it out.

In my year I took out before Uni, I was working a part time job, basically just to fund my car insurance, and without overtime I was earning under £200, it's only down to me asking the boss for overtime that I managed to get extra cash, but without it, I'd have 'earned' more money just bumming around and doing nothing on the Dole, the only reason I didn't was because I hated the thought of being there.

My sister is a full time senior care worker & her wages are disgusting - £9500 pa. She's actually been told by the DSS that she'd be better off financially on the dole. But she really loves her job and really cares for the elderly so she sticks with it. This is certainly one job that we can't do without and they really should be paid what they're worth.

In general wages are determined by how skilled a job is, and harsh as it sounds, being a care worker is something virtually anyone could do, hence the low wage. If your sister resigned tomorrow there'd be dozens of people applying for the vacancy.

As for your comment they should be paid what they're worth, who decides how much a care worker is paid? As far as I know, it's not a state funded job is it?

The national average wage is in the region of £27k. There are a hell of a lot of people in Sheffield well below that level.

That's because wages in the South East are so high it skews the national average into something totally unrealistic. It's ridiculous that a university lecturer or GP in Sheffield earns the same as a bog standard office worker in London.

That's because wages in the South East are so high it skews the national average into something totally unrealistic. It's ridiculous that a university lecturer or GP in Sheffield earns the same as a bog standard office worker in London.

I doubt a Sheffield GP earns only as much as a London office worker..if you can show me the evidence then I may change my mind of course

In general wages are determined by how skilled a job is, and harsh as it sounds, being a care worker is something virtually anyone could do, hence the low wage. If your sister resigned tomorrow there'd be dozens of people applying for the vacancy.

As for your comment they should be paid what they're worth, who decides how much a care worker is paid? As far as I know, it's not a state funded job is it?

Hmm...I don't work in care so could be wrong I don't think there would be huge competition for such jobs. I can't help but notice that there are often signs outside care homes advertising jobs for 'caring' people. There are at least a couple I regularly pass that have these signs up permanently.

Also, as pointed out before not everyone has the personal skills needed to do this work. Or more to the point, do this this type of work well.

Depressing the economy guarantees competition for jobs is high and a reserve army of unemployed. Keeping wages low and getting people to accept is the way this government sees as a means of competing, globally. If the bankers and bonus earning millionaires etc.. are subject to the same (all in it together) they threaten to go abroad but there are equally many people who would or could step in to fill their shoes but their mates in government protect them with the myth that they are unique. In many cases they share boardrooms with them. They are one and the same.

If that is the case then why do we read about poor standards of care in nursing home and residential homes? I believe people who think that 'anyone could do those jobs' are part of the problem. Shouldn't we value the personal skills of those caring for the most vulnerable? Many care staff used to be employed by the public sector, and they were reasonably paid. However, much of that type of work is private sector and agency now, and they often pay as little as they can get away with. :shakes:

Archived