Provident cash loans

has anyone got any feedback re the company,,, is it ok to deal wth

i knew someone who had about seven seperate loan arrangements running with them. only trouble was some of them were for 3, 4, and 500 quid and the interest on each was almost as much as the loan. the interest on 500 quid was around 400 so they were paying back almost double.

other than that they are a doorstep loan company and will be at your door every week for their money.

another thing to note is that if you die, they will pursue your other half for the money even if they are not on the loan agreement. this was a recent change in company policy.

i knew someone who had about seven seperate loan arrangements running with them. only trouble was some of them were for 3, 4, and 500 quid and the interest on each was almost as much as the loan. the interest on 500 quid was around 400 so they were paying back almost double.

other than that they are a doorstep loan company and will be at your door every week for their money.

another thing to note is that if you die, they will pursue your other half for the money even if they are not on the loan agreement. this was a recent change in company policy.

if the company are given a copy of the death certificate then the loan dies with the borrower and the other half cannot be pursued

I dealt with them many years ago, and found them back then to be ok. The problem as someone else said, that interest is quite high, but usually they're quite up front about it, and tell you exactly how much you are loaning and how much you will be paying back and over what period. So it's not like you are not aware of how much it will cost you.

The other problem is that they will 'try' to keep you as a customer. I mean towards the end of the loan they will try to get you to have another, even to the extent of paying off some of the existing loan with the new loan, especially if you're struggling with the existing loan. The ruse is: They say they're helping you out in paying off the existing loan and extending the time period of the next loan, so it's not so much of a struggle (hence less to pay each week). That's how they keep you locked in.

So it's ok, providing you are aware of these pitfalls.

I dealt with them many years ago, and found them back then to be ok. The problem as someone else said, that interest is quite high, but usually they're quite up front about it, and tell you exactly how much you are loaning and how much you will be paying back and over what period. So it's not like you are not aware of how much it will cost you.

The other problem is that they will 'try' to keep you as a customer. I mean towards the end of the loan they will try to get you to have another, even to the extent of paying off some of the existing loan with the new loan, especially if you're struggling with the existing loan. The ruse is: They say they're helping you out in paying off the existing loan and extending the time period of the next loan, so it's not so much of a struggle (hence less to pay each week). That's how they keep you locked in.

paying off a loan with another loan is how people get in deeper debt. paying interest on the interest.

everything you have said is spot on.

I have used provident 4 or 5 times over the years and they never botherd me like that. Ive had about 3 letters off them in 4 years. I found the agents and the staff on the phone very polite. They turn up at the time they say they will and if you pay your loan off early then you do get a bit back. Interest is high yes but so are all the others and dont think banks lend anything less than £1000. If your a first time customer then you can only get around £200 from them.

if the company are given a copy of the death certificate then the loan dies with the borrower and the other half cannot be pursued

at the time i dealt with provident i was sorting out a deceased person's affairs on behalf of the surviving partner.

the provident rep said at the time (a year ago) that a company meeting was imminent to discuss recovering debts from surviving partners and that she was "rushing through" the death cert to head office before these changes came into effect.

i would be interested to find out if the company implemented this policy?

and if any bereaved person has been conned or coerced into paying off their dead partner's debt?

i have seen letters from debt collection agencies where the deceased person's debt has been re-addressed in the survivor's name.

i have seen letters from debt collection agencies where the deceased person's debt has been re-addressed in the survivor's name.

If the debt isn't in their name, it isn't theirs. It's that simple. Putting a new name on a letter doesn't change the original debtor.

Archived