Pavement tax for shopkeepers

should shopkeepers pay, a pavement tax or are they allowed to put their wares on tables outside their shops taking pavement space up

Great idea, it's just what small businesses need - more tax. With any luck scc will bring it in as a by-law and turn the city centre in to a total wasteland with no shops within 2 years.

I was under the impression that stores already did need a licence to use the pavement outside their frontage - and I assumed that the licence incurred a charge.
We should have a licence to put a few items outside? I think the vast business rates shops pay should cover the lot. In fact, it doesn't even cover a bin. It's outrageous the way small shopkeepers are treated. When we've all been driven out of business, perhaps people will be satisfied.

We should have a licence to put a few items outside?

Not if it's on the business's own front yard or equivalent; but I believed (and could well be wrong) that it was necessary if you wanted to put stuff on the pavement, chiefly so that the council can do something about business who block the pavement entirely with sale boards.

Not if it's on the business's own front yard or equivalent; but I believed (and could well be wrong) that it was necessary if you wanted to put stuff on the pavement, chiefly so that the council can do something about business who block the pavement entirely with sale boards.
There is no licence. You aren't allowed A boards on the pavement full stop.

However, provided no one complains about frontage displays and they aren't too obstrusive, it's ok. Some people don't like outside displays, and others do because it adds a bit of colour to the streetscene.

There is no licence. You aren't allowed A boards on the pavement full stop.

However, provided no one complains about frontage displays and they aren't too obstrusive, it's ok. Some people don't like outside displays, and others do because it adds a bit of colour to the streetscene.

Understood ... personally I have no objection to outside displays if they're not stupidly large and blocking the entire pavement, but for some reason I thought you couldn't do it without official permission.

I didn't intend to come across as arguing that there should be a tax; just that I thought there already was one.

Archived