Mechanics advice needed please

I have a 2004 ford fiesta 1.4 zetec. It has 49000 miles on the clock. Bought from a dealer but it is now out of warranty. Recently it has been playing up. On the motorway in 5th gear went to put my foot down and it started struggling. Then at other times it struggles when pulling away or increasing speed. The engine light flashed three times the other day but hasn't done it since. The service receipts show it has had a diagnostics scan, new coil pack, leads and plugs 3000 miles ago.

How much am I looking at for a diagnostics scan and if it is the coil pack again, how much would it be to replace? Thank you.

I have a 2004 ford fiesta 1.4 zetec. It has 49000 miles on the clock. Bought from a dealer but it is now out of warranty. Recently it has been playing up. On the motorway in 5th gear went to put my foot down and it started struggling. Then at other times it struggles when pulling away or increasing speed. The engine light flashed three times the other day but hasn't done it since. The service receipts show it has had a diagnostics scan, new coil pack, leads and plugs 3000 miles ago.

How much am I looking at for a diagnostics scan and if it is the coil pack again, how much would it be to replace? Thank you.

How long ago was the coil pack replaced? Sometimes when the coil pack begins to fault on Zetec engines it can cause ECU damage which over time gets worse. A competent technician can test this by using a power probe on the 3 pins of the connector to it. If I remember right, there should be a permanent live on the middle pin and switching earths on the other two. If it DOES turn out to be the ECU, you also need a brand new coil pack at the same time as the ECU repair, to avoid it all happening again.

Hopefully it's just a coil pack!

How long ago was the coil pack replaced? Sometimes when the coil pack begins to fault on Zetec engines it can cause ECU damage which over time gets worse. A competent technician can test this by using a power probe on the 3 pins of the connector to it. If I remember right, there should be a permanent live on the middle pin and switching earths on the other two. If it DOES turn out to be the ECU, you also need a brand new coil pack at the same time as the ECU repair, to avoid it all happening again.

Hopefully it's just a coil pack!

It had new coil 3000 miles ago. We have had the car just over 2 months and it has been running sweet until this week. I'm hoping I've just picked up a bit of crap in the fuel.

Archived