My thoughts on the Christian religion.

Someone in another thread said You can live a perfectly egalitarian, unselfish and charitable life without bringing religion into it.

Indeed you can, but I believe religion helped humanity reach this point, it civilised humanity...I know that seems a strange thing to say considering that many wars have been fought in the name of religion, but socially it put a caring, charitable dimension into the human race that we benefit from today...but we dont need it now, its served its purpose, we've grown out of it and can be egalitarian, unselfish and charitable on our own.

Religion as been and still is responsable for some of the most appaling acts that any human can do to another.

Religion as been and still is responsible for some of the most appalling acts that any human can do to another, religion cannot be given credit for human people being unselfish and charitable.

Religion as been and still is responsable for some of the most appaling acts that any human can do to another.

Religion as been and still is responsible for some of the most appalling acts that any human can do to another, religion cannot be given credit for human people being unselfish and charitable.

Most of us have some inhibitions and a certern amount self restraint, I dont think this is natural, early man didn't have these qualities; was it not religion that made us this way?

Most of us have some inhibitions and a certern amount self restraint, I dont think this is natural, early man didn't have these qualities; was it not religion that made us this way?

What makes you think early man didn't have these qualities and how do you account for people that have these qualities but don’t have religion.

Natural development possibly.

Religion might be responible for instilling fear though.

Someone in another thread said You can live a perfectly egalitarian, unselfish and charitable life without bringing religion into it.

Indeed you can, but I believe religion helped humanity reach this point, it civilised humanity...I know that seems a strange thing to say considering that many wars have been fought in the name of religion, but socially it put a caring, charitable dimension into the human race that we benefit from today...but we dont need it now, its served its purpose, we've grown out of it and can be egalitarian, unselfish and charitable on our own.

Did you really need to start a new thread just to post an opinion which could have easily fitted in this existing thread?

Even assuming that the OP is true - which many will argue vociferously anyway - why would you attribute any of that credit to a religion that didn't exist until less than 2000 years ago? The ancient Greeks were the most civlized people we know of in ancient times, and they didn't know anything about Christ for the first half a millennium of their existence.

Archived