My thoughts on the Christian religion.

In my opinion, religion is simply a passion interest.. a hobby if you like. It can be likened to football in the sense that it has the same power and influence over it's followers. There are those who are willing to maim and kill or even die for it, and although they claim to be die hard football fans, they're actually just nasty pieces of work who recognize that their passion for football provides a convenient excuse and perfect opportunity to express their true feeling and express their true nature. They recognize that the football stadium is the ideal place to channel their anger and day-to-day frustrations through violence, thuggery and racist chanting etc. Then there are those who are just loyal fans who have a genuine interest in the game. They take their kids, they wear the colours, support their team through song and chants, throw in a little tongue in cheek banter to egg on the other team while not being disrespectful to them or the game.

Passionate interests aren't responsible for the bad in some people. It is some people who are responsible for all that is bad in passionate interests.

There is nothing wrong in regarding a person as an exemplar (Jesus of Nazareth) and striving to follow his teachings, but what qualities does a Christian hold that can be regarded as superior to the ones held by a non-believer who can be described as morally good?

It does, of course, depend on what a Christian actually believes.

No, they are political

You're arguing the wrong point. They very probably were politically driven, but religion was the excuse used. They were fought in the name of religion, regardless of what the real reason was for the kings, popes and what have you, wanting to fight them.

Wern't there any atheists in those days? who fought with the Christians but kept quiet about their non belief.:suspect:

This was a time when not attending church on Sunday was a criminal offence, unless you could prove you had a very good reason not to; very probably there were people who didn't believe, but almost nobody would ever have admitted to it.

This was a time when not attending church on Sunday was a criminal offence, unless you could prove you had a very good reason not to; very probably there were people who didn't believe, but almost nobody would ever have admitted to it.

When was that then?

Would you tell me the date of this law please ?

Would you tell me the date of this law please ?

In Britain, attending Church on a Sunday was made compulsory in Tudor Times. The Act of Uniformity passed by Edward VI in 1551 made it an offence not to attend Church on a Sunday.

A further Act of Uniformity passed in 1559, soon after Elizabeth I ascended the Crown, also made it a crime not to attend but added that transgressors could be fined 12d for non-attendance.

By the mid-19th century non attendance at Church was no longer an offence.

Archived