UK debt over 1 trillion again.

Doctors, Nurses and Teachers. Taxmen and traffic wardens. Police, Army. We sack the lot?

Take off a few layers of senior management for a start.

Then work through all the jobs that aint going to affect frontline services.

You are mixing up debt and deficit. One is the total much the Gvt owes, the other is by how much / fast that amount is growing and how much it has to borrow to service the debt that it already owes. Increasing the deficit is like paying the monthly minimum amount of one credit card with another credit card.

But don't worry it's a common problem, but if you're going to have this as a hobby horse that you demonstrate about it would be wise to understand what you are protesting about. ;)

Without checking, ISTR that the debt is planned to reach around £1.4 trillion. Imagine how much more it would be if the cuts weren't in place and the deficit was allowed to continue to grow with additional borrowing.

Don't ever realistically expect to repay the debt. However, once the deficit is under control it can begin to be paid down.

I think I see (one of the) problem(s)

You are being selective in your choice of quote. You know very well what I am saying.

No, nurses, teachers, doctors, midwives, firemen, are exactly the sort of people who will lose their jobs, not the civil servants that I presume you mean, especially the well paid ones. They will be the ones making the decisions so you can rest assured they will make sure their jobs are safe.

The media have deliberately brainwashed people into thinking the public sector is just a bunch of pen-pushers who won't be missed. The majority of public sector workers are the essential services.

Doctors, Nurses and Teachers. Taxmen and traffic wardens. Police, Army. We sack the lot?

Not all. We start sacking them and we carry on until we are living within our means. Then we stop. Public services are a luxury we afford ourselves by taxing a successful economy. Labour trashed the economy and we can no longer afford luxuries no matter how "essential" they like to think they are. In March the government borrowed over £18bn to keep these people in jobs. That can't go on for long before people stop lending us money. Then they will all be sacked anyway and we'll be left with an even bigger debt.

Not all. We start sacking them and we carry on until we are living within our means. Then we stop. Public services are a luxury we afford ourselves by taxing a successful economy.

So you think a succesful economy is built on a bed of poor health and crime? Where people can avoid tax because there's very few people to chase them. Where we have no staff in hospitals but job centres full of unemployed nurses. This is your plan?

No, nurses, teachers, doctors, midwives, firemen, are exactly the sort of people who will lose their jobs, not the civil servants that I presume you mean, especially the well paid ones. They will be the ones making the decisions so you can rest assured they will make sure their jobs are safe.

The media have deliberately brainwashed people into thinking the public sector is just a bunch of pen-pushers who won't be missed. The majority of public sector workers are the essential services.

I don't disagree. There you are getting into politics not economics. As we have seen with our beloved council not one senior manager has gone but front line staff have. That is the problem with having a bloated, inefficient and unaccountable public sector run by weak, spineless and talentless politicians. Labour created that mess and the people who will get hurt the most are their own supporters. Labour are masters at the blame game. They would make their own supporters unemployed just so they can point the finger at someone else. You can "bank" on that.

So you think a succesful economy is built on a bed of poor health and crime? Where people can avoid tax because there's very few people to chase them. Where we have no staff in hospitals but job centres full of unemployed nurses. This is your plan?

Unlike your plan it's a plan that will work. But I wouldn't start with nurses or doctors or the army. You would because it suits your argument. There's plenty of other places to start as you well know.

Not all. We start sacking them and we carry on until we are living within our means. Then we stop. Public services are a luxury we afford ourselves by taxing a successful economy. Labour trashed the economy and we can no longer afford luxuries no matter how "essential" they like to think they are. In March the government borrowed over £18bn to keep these people in jobs. That can't go on for long before people stop lending us money. Then they will all be sacked anyway and we'll be left with an even bigger debt.

Just for once can we leave party politics out of this. It isn't helpful.

I think most people would like to see top civil servant's pay cut, and the civil service reduced. Until that happens I don't want to see 1 essential worker lose their job. The clue is in the job description - they are essential.

The problem is how to get the expensive non essential workers at the top out. Not all, but they can surely be reduced.

Archived