What happened to 24 hour drinking???

littleboo

What happened to 24 hour drinking???

went out tonight and rolled into the Nelson for one last beer only to be told we are closed at 11.00pm!!!

Not really a fan of the 24 hour thing but just fancied one last beer before the jaunt home, was also told that Sportsman was closed.

If I thought that anyone could handle 24 hour drinking it would be the rock pubs of Sheffield!!!!!

has rock gone soft?? are any of the Rock bars (casbah exempt) open later than 11.00

I don't think for one second that you would have seen Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler or Ozzy getting their coats at 11.00pm:hihi: :hihi:

I believe only about 133 pubs in the entire UK have actually been granted 24 hr licences.

It comes down to each council to decide who'll they'll award extended licences to. In our case, due of the split level nature of the pub, we have limited disabled access. That therefore prevents us from gaining an extended licence.

Please feel free to take your complaint to Sheffield City Council on yours and our behalf.

Not having a go at the Nelson mate, Great pub!!

The media have made such a big deal out of the 24 hour drinking thing That I thought it was wide spread and all the pubs had got it.

Probably did me a favour mate, came home and had a takeaway instead.

Originally posted by littleboo

Not having a go at the Nelson mate, Great pub!!

The media have made such a big deal out of the 24 hour drinking thing That I thought it was wide spread and all the pubs had got it.

Well I'm sure that goes to show that the newspapers & TV never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

All the new act meant was that pubs could *apply* to extend their hours and councils were - in theory - not bound by specifc time restrictions in granting them, although there's a lot of other factors they take into account.

But given our current drinking habits - I cannot see it being worth it for many pub's to be open at 6am - most pubs that have applied have tended to go for an additional hour or two at weekends. Who knows though - maybe in 20 years normal Sheffield people will be like the Spannish & not even go out until midnight & be out till dawn... but then again maybe not!

The 24 hour drinking thing is a bit of a myth really, hyped up in the press. Many pubs and bars do now open an extra hour or two though, especially at the weekend - examples Lloyds No1 opens until midnight and the Wig & Pen until 1am.

It does look like more pubs are waiting to apply for late licences in the new year, who chose not to do so at the start as the lawyers doing it were charging a lot of money due to being in high demand...

where are all the people who predicted chaos and the end of civilisation as we knew it. Maybe they'd like to eat their words now?

Unfortunately most of the pubs that have extended hours in the city centre seem to be the sort that I don't like to go to, which is a shame.

I expect things will gradually change so that more bars open later though, now that it's clear that it won't destroy the world as we know it if they open until midnight.

Home for Christmas, and I've just found out that my local town has been called the capital for 24 hour drinking. This is because all 15 odd pubs/bars have been awarded 24 hour licences.

However, if you want a drink after 1am you'll still struggle to find anywhere open.

Originally posted by Cyclone

where are all the people who predicted chaos and the end of civilisation as we knew it. Maybe they'd like to eat their words now?

My sentiments entirely.

All those who predicted wall-to-wall drunks, vomit, drink-fuelled violence and racing ambulances on a scale hitherto unseen, were the same people who fabricated such scare stories back in 1988 (all day drinking) and the early 1980s (when pubs were allowed to open longer on Friday and Saturday nights).

Fact is, it's hardly made a jot of difference. (Actually, I'd reckon it will lead to a reduction in drink related incidents in city centres, but that kind of positive news doesn't quite make such a good headline as negative news does. I'm not best qualified to comment on city centre drinking as I avoid it at all costs at night.)

Hopefully, the full benefit of more relaxed opening hours may be felt in the summer?

There's time yet for more negative and frankly, ill-judged comments about so-called (eroneously) "24/7" drinking.

Archived