Recession or no recession - what's it like in your house?

What's it like in your house? Recession or no recession?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What's it like in your house? Recession or no recession?

• Recession
    • Nothing's really changed
    • No recession

We are a retired couple, and our state pensions, although meagre to start with, :( have risen by 5.2% this year, better than in previous years.

We manage very well, and because we don't spend much on expensive consumables, or use our car very much we are seeing little difference in our standard of living.

If only everybody else could live life sensibly. So many things that were treated as luxuries or wastes of money 30 years ago are viewed (by many) to be essential now.

Very, very few people should be in 'poverty', even on relatively low wages or benefit incomes, and few would be if they were to be sensible in what they spend.

If only everybody else could live life sensibly. So many things that were treated as luxuries or wastes of money 30 years ago are viewed (by many) to be essential now.

So true. I hate to re-tell the old story of how our parents used hand-me-down furniture and lived on beans and toast so they could pay the mortgage and keep saving for a rainy day, but it is true.

Not a lots changed. I go out a lot less because it's becoming too expensive but I've kept my 'luxuries' like subscription TV & internet. In fact because I go out less I feel I'm getting 'better value' from those services as I'm using them more than I used to.

So true. I hate to re-tell the old story of how our parents used hand-me-down furniture and lived on beans and toast so they could pay the mortgage and keep saving for a rainy day, but it is true.
Completely true. And didn't have carpet in every room, or a colour tv, or a washing machine, or central heating . . . the list goes on. People with no work skills, or indeed people who just choose not to work, now expect - and are granted - a better style of living than skilled working families expected 30 years ago.

Today is a rainy day, there is both drought and floods in the UK.

The UK has entered double dip recession and youth unemployment has never been higher.

Your parents lived in the good old days, today young people use hand me down furniture and live on beans and toast, just to pay the rent!

No change here. Food is still cheap as supermarkets fight for business. Car fuel has gone up but I've combated that by driving more conservatively and making sure my tyres are at the correct pressure.

Is this tongue in cheek?:hihi:

No recession but things are tighter in my house as the cost of running a home and getting to work soars whilst my income remains the same.

If only everybody else could live life sensibly. So many things that were treated as luxuries or wastes of money 30 years ago are viewed (by many) to be essential now. Very, very few people should be in 'poverty', even on relatively low wages or benefit incomes, and few would be if they were to be sensible in what they spend.

If nobody bought these or any other goods for that matter, what would happen to businesses and th entire economy?

Is this tongue in cheek?:hihi:

No recession but things are tighter in my house as the cost of running a home and getting to work soars whilst my income remains the same.

There really isn't any need to use tabloid language like "soars", which implies the cost of living is going up by a ridiculous amount. It isn't.

For some people the cost of luxuries such as running a car is rising slightly higher than their wages, but in terms of affording essentials like food, mortgage and utilities, most of us are managing reasonably well.

There really isn't any need to use tabloid language like "soars", which implies the cost of living is going up by a ridiculous amount. It isn't.

For some people the cost of luxuries such as running a car is rising slightly higher than their wages, but in terms of affording essentials like food, mortgage and utilities, most of us are managing reasonably well.

This goes back to another thread. If you work odd hours or away from the tram or need a car for work a car isn't a luxury it's an essential. You can argue long and hard about choosing a job you can cycle to etc but for alot of people a car is essential.

Am I struggling ? Yes. Work is always sporadic at this time of year and there is less of it about. My busy period is coming and it can't come soon enough. To top it all there's been a few hefty bills I wasn't expecting but with a bit of economising here and there I'll get through.

What choice do I, or anyone else for that matter, have ? Mope about ? I'd rather try and get myself out of trouble than hope someone will wave a magic wand and hope it gets better.

Archived