Recession or no recession - what's it like in your house?

What's it like in your house? Recession or no recession?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What's it like in your house? Recession or no recession?

• Recession
    • Nothing's really changed
    • No recession

Since the recession hit I have stopped buying:

Music (CDs, MP3s)

DVDs (rent & buy)

Alcohol

Clothes, until the old ones fall apart, and then from charity shops where possible

Books

Takeaways (or eating out in general)

Most things I don't actually need

It's no disaster but there are a lot of businesses that no longer get any of my money. It all seems to go to food shops, utility companies and petrol for the (essential for work) car.

I started to cut back before the crap hit the fan(purely to stop wasting money)

I was amazed at the amounts i was spending per month.

£200...fags..now stopped.

£20 newspapers...read them online now.

£30 bus to work...I was being lazy!I can walk in 25 mins.

Other bits n bobs brought the total up to about £350 per month.

I don't need a car until i move job to Glasgow.So the above savings will pay for one.

My job is in a sector which is suffering cutbacks,but my speciality seems to be in demand (touch wood)

It's amazing how much money i was wasting,and the only thing that i pay more for now is my gym membership.From £35 to £60

Not everyone is going to be affected in the same way. As with most things some are being hit much harder than others. If you've lost your job the recession is very real.

But some don't even know how hard they're being hit yet.

Pensions for instance are plummeting in value, and younger people won't know yet what a drag it's going to be having to work until they're 68+

You won't have noticed the cuts in the health service until you need it for something and so on.

The worrying thing is the cuts so far are only the tip of the iceberg. 80% haven't even happened yet.

If only everybody else could live life sensibly. So many things that were treated as luxuries or wastes of money 30 years ago are viewed (by many) to be essential now.

Very, very few people should be in 'poverty', even on relatively low wages or benefit incomes, and few would be if they were to be sensible in what they spend.

That might be true, but there is a need for food banks to help the desperately poor who can't afford to buy it, so that says something about the level of need.

My wife is to be made redundant. My skill area ensures that I am being head hunted as usual, although I may remain with my present employer.

:confused: You don't seem to put enough time between posts to get to and from work. :suspect:

That might be true, but there is a need for food banks to help the desperately poor who can't afford to buy it, so that says something about the level of need.

I've been reading about foodbanks, and I find it really worrying that families say they have to use them to feed their children. I understand why a single person on basic benefits (£56.25 a week for a single person under 25) or a street homeless person would need this kind of help. But the amount of benefits that families with children and the over 65s get, seem pretty reasonable. I think we need to be informed about incomes before we can have a reasonable debate about levels of poverty.

A family with children on benefits and in rented accommodation in this area, will normally have all the rent covered by housing benefit. Council tax will also be covered, and the children will get free school meals. A single parent with two school age children will get around £256 on top of those housing costs. A pensioner couple, again with rent and council tax covered by benefits, will get £241 a week on top of housing costs if they are on full pension credit.

The weekly amounts I've picked up from the DWP website are, £71 ESA; £65 each dependent child (£130 for two); £22.50 lone parent supplement; £33.70 child benefit for two children.

£241.65 pensioner couple on Pension Credit.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/benefitrates2012.pdf

Archived