This song is driving me crazy . . .

Yes, for years I've been haunted by a song that I can't name. I only remember a few lines (even then I'm not absolutely sure that I have them right) and I need to find the name of the song before I'm totally driven out of my mind. If someone could name the song for me I would be forever grateful. If someone could supply all of the lyrics to the song I would be doubly forever grateful.

Anyway, circa 1958/9, a buddy (Lawrence ‘Lol’ Burlison) and I were hanging around a club or a pub in Bridlington one warm balmy evening. We were looking through a window watching three or four performers sing a romantic ‘folksy’ type song concerning a woman/man wooing her/his lover. There would have been three or four (perhaps senior) performers in the group singing the song, one woman of which was playing an accordion. The refrain or chorus of the song went/goes something like …“O you sweet one/O you dear one/O you darling, I love you”.

For some reason or other the 3 or 4 minutes from that evening is etched into my memory. I can see the scene in my mind quite clearly and I have a feeling of nostalgia whenever I think of it. The group of (I think) seniors were so happy and having such a good time and this lifted the spirits of Lol and I. It really irks me, however, that I don’t know the name of the song that this small group of people were singing. Apparently it was quite a popular song within social circles such as the one Lol and I witnessed.

From the smattering of the lyrics that I’ve given, can anyone help?

Don't ask me how I know that the Andrews sisters covered it, I'm not that old and it won't do my street cred much good.

http://www.lyricsvault.net/php/artist.php?s=68983

This is the version I know

You nailed it, my friend! Thanks to you I just heard that song for the first time in (muffles his voice) 50-some years.

If it makes you feel better, I was probably far younger at the time than you are now. I was just a kid and very much into R&R as most kids were back then. I'm a musician and am currently playing gigs in Townsville, Australia. This particular song, however, surpasses street cred since nostalgia and fond memories takes priority over self-image.

Again, MANY thanks!

Archived