Leveson enquiry with Rupert Murdoch and others. Is it all a fiasco?

I always knew the tories wanted to regulate the press under their control and were using the Leveson Enquiry as supposed legitimate justification, but I was amazed this morning when the editor of their biggest supporters - The Daily Mail said he didn't want the government to control the press

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16216289

Rupert Murdock has been humiliated,and has admitted responsibility for the hacking scandal,even though he says he had been shielded from what was going on.

So much has been revealed about politicians,even going back to Margaret Thatchers time.

Murdock hasn't come off as badly as i thought he would,better then his son actually.I'm not defending him, I had thought he was just another greedy egotistical newspaper tycoon with no principles,but some of his comments have been valid.

Do you think this enquiry has been necessary? There's more to come from Brown next week.

Rupert Murdock is a concentrated blob of pure evil. The man owns half the world's media. He outright denies that climate change is man made, and owns shares in energy companies.

He's basically untouchable. The sooner this little imp dies, the better. There's not many people on this planet that I'd wish death iron, but this ball bag is one of them!!

Less freedom for the press probably,and more state control?

You could argue Murdock's empire is a "state" operating within a state/s..Not much in terms of freedom of the press there unless you're Murdock with the power to do as he pleases within his own bubble.

There's no reason why a politician can't befriend someone who works for a newspaper.

Does your profession determine what friends you're allowed to have?

When a newspaper has the power to deliver political views of said politician, regardless of that politicians morals or reasoning, it becomes propaganda.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 11:54 ----------

No reason why they shouldn't. If you disapprove of the way journalists work, don't buy the paper they write for.

I'm amazed the Leveson Inquiry is still considered newsworthy. Is there anyone still surprised that politicians try to get journalists on their side?

You're ok with the fact that journalists were hacking into people's phones and private lives, just to sell papers? Your attitude to that is, let them get on with it?!

I notice they didn't hack into David Cameron's phone and listen to his conversations?

I always knew the tories wanted to regulate the press under their control and were using the Leveson Enquiry as supposed legitimate justification, but I was amazed this morning when the editor of their biggest supporters - The Daily Mail said he didn't want the government to control the press

Paul Dacre (the Mail's editor) was chair of the Press Complaints Commission. If under his leadership that had actually provided some effective independent regulation of the press rather than somewhere for people to make complaints before being ignored then perhaps the excesses of the press would have been curtailed and the Leveson inquiry wouldn't have been seen as necessary.

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 15:01 ----------

I notice they didn't hack into David Cameron's phone and listen to his conversations?

Didn't the hacking occur because people hadn't changed their PIN from the default? Perhaps he simply changed his PIN.

• 3 years later...

Yup its a fiasco, The Government narrowly (by 9) defeats Labours attempt to get them to launch the 2nd part of the Leveson enquiry.

BUT!!!!

There will be one for Northern Ireland Oo again to sidle up to the DUP to prop up their strong and stable government.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/09/theresa-may-defeats-bid-to-make-her-launch-part-two-of-leveson-inquiry

Yup its a fiasco, The Government narrowly (by 9) defeats Labours attempt to get them to launch the 2nd part of the Leveson enquiry.

BUT!!!!

There will be one for Northern Ireland Oo again to sidle up to the DUP to prop up their strong and stable government.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/09/theresa-may-defeats-bid-to-make-her-launch-part-two-of-leveson-inquiry

I wonder if strong and stable Mabel is worried by what the Mail, Sun and all the others would say about her & her incompetent government if she backed the 2nd part of the Leveson inquiry?

I wonder if strong and stable Mabel is worried by what the Mail, Sun and all the others would say about her & her incompetent government if she backed the 2nd part of the Leveson inquiry?

"strong and stable Mabel " :hihi::thumbsup: Surely that ones got to stick :)