Help sought for low car insurance for new drivers

I'm about to pass my driving test and would like some help from drivers about insurance. I've looked at a couple of price comparison websites. For instance, the best quote I got for a 10 yr old vehicle was £3.5k. Can anyone offer me the benefit of their experience on where to look.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? If you're under 21, it's going to be ridiculously expensive i'm afraid!!

In my experience, the age/value of a car doesn't really make a difference to insurance price. It's the make of car and engine size that makes the difference. I took and passed my test when i was 22. I got a 1.2 Fiat Punto and for the first year, my insurance cost me around £1,500. The second year, it dropped to £900.

My sister passed her test last year when she was 17. The cheapest quote for a 1L car was around £3,000. Which she couldn't afford so she didn't bother getting a car. A year after she passed her test, she got a 1.1 Citroen c2. She is paying around £1,600 for the insurance on this. So because she's had her licence for a year, the price drops dramatically even though she's not driven a car at all for the past year!!

Sometimes, adding an older, more experienced person as a named driver can make it slightly cheaper. But for me, it didn't. To put my mum (clean licence holder for over 20years) on my insurance policy made no difference to the price at all. It was exactly the same as without her. My sister found that putting my mum on her insurance actually added £200! No idea why though!

Ignore all the comparison sites, they won't give you any good prices.

Go and buy whatever boy racer magazine is in fashion at the moment and ring every single one of the adverts in the back.

Even now I don't get good prices from Confuse the Meerkats, I know I can almost halve it if I ring round places like Adrian Flux and Sky.

If you have a parent who has their own vehicle try admiral multi car. Last year my 18yr daughter insured her 1.25 Fiesta and we added our car 1.8 Mondeo when it was due for renewal, for both cars we paid £2,100. This year renewal came through at £2,500 even though she has 1 yrs ncb, did another internet quote with Admiral £1,700 phoned them and now got both cars for £1,539.

Archived