Anyone remember (the wreck)

Just as a matter of interest the Carbrook rec. was on land that was part of Terry's Farm.

The farnhouse on the site was called Belleview.

The rec land was used for the dumping of night soil from the city.

Happy Days but if not Smelly Days!

PopT

Really? That must be where Terry Street got its name from, then?

Hi Plain Talker

Terry Street named after the family was just a cart track up to the farmhouse.

The 'Muck' carts used this to deliver the nightsoil behind the farmhouse after a contract was signed with the city counci with my ancestor.

Later the cart track was developed and adopted and named Terry Street.

I guess it was a case of 'Where's there's Muck, there's Money'!

PopT

nice one popt. so all my childhood in carbrook rec I was playing on sh-- . I presume thats what nightsoil was, wish I could let my mum know thats the reason I was always mucky and smelly.and terry st nice new bit of knowledge for the old grey cells thanks.

Hi cliffsharky

There's a softback book out wrtten by Ann Sapcote entitled, 'Once Round the Lump'.

in it there is a mention of the farm and a map. It might be worth you taking a look at it in the library if you are interested.

I think it's a bit pricey to buy at £12.99.

There's also some maps on the Sheffield History website which shows the farm set up over

the years before the area was developed for industrial use and housing.

Happy Hunting PopT

i remember the wreck on ripon street, spent many an hour there.The high fence enclorsure with side,roundabout in it plus the park keepers cabin which allways smelt of TCP. there were big concorete tunnells,which were old undergroud water pipes playing inside the other end of the wreck was football pich which led out on to worthing road what memories

Archived