Clarkson the hypocrite?

Yes your right if i could stop people walking that way without a doubt i would do.

No it isn't a selfish attitude why it is selfish that i want to keep my privacy im sorry but isn't it selfish of the people walking less than a yard from my window instead of the footpath i mean thats what its there for.

Its a shame he did lose because i understand why he took it to court and its nothing to be scoffed at its a shame he did lose.

and clearly you did misunderstand because i said my flat is about as private as it can be.

I didnt say my flat is private. My flat is about as private as it can be means its about as private as it can be. It does not mean it is private.

You'd stop people walking on public land and Clarkson would stop people walking on a public footpath. In both cases it's an entirely selfish attitude, and whilst you both have the right to attempt to get the situation changed to your liking, I'm glad that you would both fail.

I see the positive thing that comes out of this being that he looses and that the precedent about public footpaths is reinforced. Land owners have no right to close them no matter how much they'd like to.

Did I misunderstand?

But is this highways act relevant in the Isle of Man or do they have a different act?

The TT races started in the Isle of Man because the Tynwald had the power to close public roads for racing where the mainland government did not.

Good point, Under British law, the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom.

I still don't see why there would be an objection as long as the path is diverted to a better location and when I’m rambling I don’t particularly want to walk past someones kitchen window.

Just looked at his light house on Google earth and I can’t see why anyone would need to get close to his house. A better walk would be along the cliff tops a couple of hundred meters away.

So they could be just close enough to shout "tosser!" that he would just be able to hear them. :hihi:

Just looked at his light house on Google earth and I can’t see why anyone would need to get close to his house. A better walk would be along the cliff tops a couple of hundred meters away.

We walked the Isle of Man coast path a couple of years ago.The coast path was temporarily inaccessible at that point due to extension work to the runway at Ronaldsway.We had to divert a fair way inland and were thus denied the opportunity to view Chez Clarkson(and shout "Tosser" at him).There did seem to be plenty of alternative footpaths in the area but none that got you close to the coast edge.

Yes your right if i could stop people walking that way without a doubt i would do.

No it isn't a selfish attitude why it is selfish

Because both you and Clarkson bought your properties with public property/right of way already in place.

To then try to change that because of your preference is the very definition of selfish.

that i want to keep my privacy im sorry but isn't it selfish of the people walking less than a yard from my window instead of the footpath i mean thats what its there for.

No, they're still walking on public property.

Its a shame he did lose because i understand why he took it to court and its nothing to be scoffed at its a shame he did lose.

No it isn't. It would be a travesty if he won.

and clearly you did misunderstand because i said my flat is about as private as it can be.

So it's not private then, and it wasn't private when you bought it, and so you made a mistake if privacy was important to you.

Good point, Under British law, the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom.

I still don't see why there would be an objection as long as the path is diverted to a better location and when I’m rambling I don’t particularly want to walk past someones kitchen window.

He wasn't asking for it to be diverted, he wanted it closed, and he started the ball rolling by illegally closing it, which was never going to help him when it actually ended up in court.

He wasn't asking for it to be diverted, he wanted it closed, and he started the ball rolling by illegally closing it, which was never going to help him when it actually ended up in court.

Where does it say that, the link and other reports say he diverted it, and there looks plenty of space round the property to divert it easily.

I could be misremembering, but I thought he'd closed it first.

If a diversion were an option he should have gone through the proper channels to see if it were possible rather than taking it on himself to move it illegally.

Archived