Is my car worth repairing..

Hi All.

Dreaded MOT today and the testing station failed my W reg Fiat Punto on the following:

Front exhaust has major leak of exhaust gases

Offside rear (innersill) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

Offside rear (floor) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits

It has 48k miles on the clock and runs pretty much OK (touchwood never had any other issues with it).

I was wondering if anyone had any idea whatsoever at the sort of cost you might be looking at for repairs to fix the above - it seems like the sort of stuff it'd be tough to ring around and get a price for and I don't want to drop it in somewhere where they reckon 'about 350' and then find out 'it was worse than we thought so the price is 700'. Obviously, if that were the case, I'd have to think about taking a last drive to the scrap yard (which ideally I'd like to avoid).

Help very much welcome! Cheers.

Hi All.

Dreaded MOT today and the testing station failed my W reg Fiat Punto on the following:

Offside rear (innersill) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

Offside rear (floor) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

It has 48k miles on the clock and runs pretty much OK (touchwood never had any other issues with it).

I was wondering if anyone had any idea whatsoever at the sort of cost you might be looking at for repairs to fix the above - it seems like the sort of stuff it'd be tough to ring around and get a price for and I don't want to drop it in somewhere where they reckon 'about 350' and then find out 'it was worse than we thought so the price is 700'. Obviously, if that were the case, I'd have to think about taking a last drive to the scrap yard (which ideally I'd like to avoid).

i had a corsa that failed mot few years back on fail sheet it read excessive corrosion round suspension mount thought well its scrap but just asked a welder to take a look £25 in welding was all it wanted one tiny little plate so dont go on what fail sheet says get it checked first

Hi All.

I would give it a good funeral and get some cash back which you don't generally get money back from funerals. After 48k, was it parked in a pond.?

Cheers all (including those who've PM'd), I will bear that all in mind and do a spot of ringing around.

* The parked in a pond bit made me chuckle. It is parked in the road outside which I think has been the problem partially, also it's 10 years old now despite only having one careful lady owner before I picked it up (32k miles 2 years ago for 800 quid!). Also, it is probably a crappilly manufactured car that wants to rust through when you drop a cup of tea!

Lets be honest, Fiats are built in a country that has sunshine most of the time, when it rains, it doesn't last for long then the sun fries everything and there are a lot of old Fiats, albeit with missing doors, that are runnng around in Italy without any problem. I don't know if they have an MOT system as we do but their Fiats live a lot longer in Italy.

Things have improved over the years because most Italian cars used to rot significantly when sold in England where rain generally replaced sun.

i would say nope you can pick up another punto for that price as there crap i had a 51 reg last year lasted 5 month totall garbage would never have a fiat again stick with vauxhalls cant go wrong ive had about 50 vauxhalls over yrs and nothing ever went wrong with them apart from the odd sensor

i would say nope you can pick up another punto for that price as there crap i had a 51 reg last year lasted 5 month totall garbage would never have a fiat again stick with vauxhalls cant go wrong ive had about 50 vauxhalls over yrs and nothing ever went wrong with them apart from the odd sensor

If vauxhall are so good why have you had over 50?:loopy::huh:

Archived