Is my car worth repairing..

My wife has had four Fiats over the years and has had very little problem with them.

I remember when Vauxhalls used to rot like smelly cheese. I had a friend who had a Vauxhall, brand new and went on holiday with it. He pelled up on the verge to have a bit of a snack and the windsreen cracked because the body twisted. Well done Vauxhall.

Cheers all (including those who've PM'd), I will bear that all in mind and do a spot of ringing around.

* The parked in a pond bit made me chuckle. It is parked in the road outside which I think has been the problem partially, also it's 10 years old now despite only having one careful lady owner before I picked it up (32k miles 2 years ago for 800 quid!). Also, it is probably a crappilly manufactured car that wants to rust through when you drop a cup of tea!

If I were you I would post up some pics of the alleged corrosion if you can, and see if you can get some informed advice on the extent of it. Regarding the emissions test faiure, as mentioned above, if the exhaust is blowing ten the emissions will be out anyway, so you need to fix that, but Punto exhausts are cheap. Also if te car is 10 years old and done so few miles, it suggests probably lots of town driving. How long since the oil and filter was changed? How long since it ad a good blast? I have a Punto of the same age as yours. Twice it has failed on emissions. I have taken it away, given it about 40 miles on the motorway, and plenty of revs, brought it back and it as passed easily.

They are cheap little cars you can buy a decent one for the cost of the repairs sometimes, I had one in for the same sort of welding a few months ago it was as rotten as a pear I told him he was wasting his money it cost him £300 to get through the test in the end I had to weld a massive plate into both sides of the floors new exhaust and brakes for the MOT he seems happy with it though.

Archived