Please help me find info on guitar

joal777

1965 Fender Jazz Bass cost £107 sold for £3500

1962 Burns Split Sound 6 string Bass cost £700 sold fo £2000 2 years later

1999 Root Beer Musicman Stingray 5 cost £800 sold for £1000 last month

Nice!

I have a Hagstrom James D'Aquisto (Hagstrom "Jimmy"), an original, not one of the new Hagstroms, and was offered 1200 quid for it a few years ago from a bloke who played Jazz on cruise ships. His name escapes me, Ron something or other I think, from the North East. I just saw a picture of him playing a similar guitar to mine and emailed him for details on the guitar for my own info. I paid 250 quid for it, nice sort of Brian Setzer style guitar.

Nice!

I have a Hagstrom James D'Aquisto (Hagstrom "Jimmy"), an original, not one of the new Hagstroms, and was offered 1200 quid for it a few years ago from a bloke who played Jazz on cruise ships. His name escapes me, Ron something or other I think, from the North East. I just saw a picture of him playing a similar guitar to mine and emailed him for details on the guitar for my own info. I paid 250 quid for it, nice sort of Brian Setzer style guitar.

D'aquisto was the star pupil of D'acquisto who made breathtakingly beatiful archies in the 30s and 40's - New Yorker models are worth many bobs and teardrop versions have sold for half a million dollars - more than '59 les pauls which is fair cos they're miles better instuments.

D'aquisto carried on where he left off, but ditched the fancy pants for superb new designs that are still made (I think he's now dead) they sell them in forsyths in manchester and I played a beautiful blue one that was about 5 grand some years ago.

I've never heard of the hagstrom version . looked it up on google and they look lovely - wonder what it's worth? would've thought £1200 easy - factory made obviously, the real ones are hand carved - but if it sounds great with that history, some jazzman would pay good cash.

what a steal for £250.

I stopped buying guitars when my kid was born - getting the itch again from this thread!!

PS it's not like a brian setzer, that's gretsch (a wonderful, blousy rockabilly twang machine - love gretsches) yours is a sophisticated, slick, understated rich harmonic jazzer

Originally Posted by Sidecut

1965 Fender Jazz Bass cost £107 sold for £3500

1962 Burns Split Sound 6 string Bass cost £700 sold fo £2000 2 years later

1999 Root Beer Musicman Stingray 5 cost £800 sold for £1000 last month

Nice!

The reason that I got the Musicman SR5 so cheap in 1999 was because I bought it in the states, in the UK they were considerably more expensive.

D'aquisto was the star pupil of D'acquisto who made breathtakingly beatiful archies in the 30s and 40's - New Yorker models are worth many bobs and teardrop versions have sold for half a million dollars - more than '59 les pauls which is fair cos they're miles better instuments.

D'aquisto carried on where he left off, but ditched the fancy pants for superb new designs that are still made (I think he's now dead) they sell them in forsyths in manchester and I played a beautiful blue one that was about 5 grand some years ago.

I've never heard of the hagstrom version . looked it up on google and they look lovely - wonder what it's worth? would've thought £1200 easy - factory made obviously, the real ones are hand carved - but if it sounds great with that history, some jazzman would pay good cash.

what a steal for £250.

I stopped buying guitars when my kid was born - getting the itch again from this thread!!

PS it's not like a brian setzer, that's gretsch (a wonderful, blousy rockabilly twang machine - love gretsches) yours is a sophisticated, slick, understated rich harmonic jazzer

I love the big Gretsch guitars as well.

I love this Hagstrom of mine, looks like it is the 1976 model according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagstr%C3%B6m_Jimmy

Lovely guitar, comes with the original Hagstrom hard case.

I love the big Gretsch guitars as well.

I love this Hagstrom of mine, looks like it is the 1976 model according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagstr%C3%B6m_Jimmy

Lovely guitar, comes with the original Hagstrom hard case.

By the way, the wikipedia link says that the guitar has a Rosewood fingerboard, whereas I am convinced mine is Ebony?

By the way, the wikipedia link says that the guitar has a Rosewood fingerboard, whereas I am convinced mine is Ebony?

my beloved k yairi has an 'ebony' f/b - its a closely filled , black stained rosewood , which is good, ebony doesn't conduct sound, rosewood adds a depth and sparkle. wish i had a 'jimmy'

my beloved k yairi has an 'ebony' f/b - its a closely filled , black stained rosewood , which is good, ebony doesn't conduct sound, rosewood adds a depth and sparkle. wish i had a 'jimmy'

Ah I see, makes sense about the rosewood, and keep your eyes open, a Jimmy might come up on ebay or somewhere.

Archived