HSBC to lay off 2217 staff in the UK

If they are that smart forward planning should allow an adjustment through natural wastage and not throwing people on the scrapheap.At least people at the bank will be nice and clean,for the time being.

It might already be through natural wastage. "cutting workforce" does not automatically mean compulsory redundancies.

They might offer senior staff or close to retiring a release package - lots of big companies do that.

They might be offering redeployment lists or resource pool to staff - HSBC group is not one dimentional. There are lots of hidden companies and subsidaries where staff might disappear into.

Its what BT, BBC, British Gas, Post Office, HBOS, RBS etc have been doing for years.

I would imagine that a lot of Long term staff will be queing up for redundancy. I know I was 6 years ago when I'd completed my 30 years service.

I remember in the early 90s the Bank making redundancies in the IT depts and they were inundated with requests! They ended up with more redundancy applications than they cared for!

They probably have a few too many mortgage advisors.

and 'financial advisors' pushing PPI, critical illness cover, credit card loss insurance and a host of other fiddles they've been at since endowment mortgages. Plus risible rates of interest for savers, no loans for businesses and record pay for Diamond, Hester, Goodwin etc.

Redundancies? I'm surprised the daily scenes we see of people in European countries stoning the police aren't of the real culprits. Bankers and the money-grabbing scum who work in them.

and 'financial advisors' pushing PPI, critical illness cover, credit card loss insurance and a host of other fiddles they've been at since endowment mortgages. Plus risible rates of interest for savers, no loans for businesses and record pay for Diamond, Hester, Goodwin etc.

Redundancies? I'm surprised the daily scenes we see of people in European countries stoning the police aren't of the real culprits. Bankers and the money-grabbing scum who work in them.

Banks generally have lots of windows, a new Kristallnacht will come, the people can soon change from a complacent bunch of sheep into an organised killing machine.

Who'd have thought back in 2002 that within ten years pensioners, adults and children would be out on the streets of Greece fighting with the police and cheering when a petrol bomb hits a copper on the noggin.

Might not be the best outcome, but it is looking increasingly likely.

It might already be through natural wastage. "cutting workforce" does not automatically mean compulsory redundancies.

They might offer senior staff or close to retiring a release package - lots of big companies do that.

They might be offering redeployment lists or resource pool to staff - HSBC group is not one dimentional. There are lots of hidden companies and subsidaries where staff might disappear into.

Its what BT, BBC, British Gas, Post Office, HBOS, RBS etc have been doing for years.

No. The new structure means over 3000 jobs will be going. Some will be redeployed, some new roles created, but 2217 jobs will be lost. That's across all departments in the bank that are within their retail sector.

I know that the financial sector is under a lot of pressure to make changes, but HSBC have just made £13 billion in profit and Stewart Gulliver has taken an £8 million pay check home.

To put over 2000 employees to the back of the dole queue is just not on!

No. The new structure means over 3000 jobs will be going. Some will be redeployed, some new roles created, but 2217 jobs will be lost. That's across all departments in the bank that are within their retail sector.

I know that the financial sector is under a lot of pressure to make changes, but HSBC have just made £13 billion in profit and Stewart Gulliver has taken an £8 million pay check home.

To put over 2000 employees to the back of the dole queue is just not on!

I assume therefore people applying for jobs in other group sectors?

Also, job losses through what? Has anyone actually said the words compulsory redundancy or is it - like many firms - through voluntary release and retirement with no replacement..

I assume therefore people applying for jobs in other group sectors?

Also, job losses through what? Has anyone actually said the words compulsory redundancy or is it - like many firms - through voluntary release and retirement with no replacement..

2217 jobs will go. Compulsory redundancy.

2217 jobs will go. Compulsory redundancy.

I would be extremely surprised if they were all compulsory. There will be quite a lot of Long service staff who will be just waiting to take early voluntary retirement. There will also be those who are.just so sick of working for the Bank they can't wait for an escape route.

Not all staff will be upset by this announcement!

I would be extremely surprised if they were all compulsory. There will be quite a lot of Long service staff who will be just waiting to take early voluntary retirement. There will also be those who are.just so sick of working for the Bank they can't wait for an escape route.

Not all staff will be upset by this announcement!

That's not how it's working. The redundancy are based on a measurement of achievement and on a last in, first out basis. I'm still in touch with several of my old work mates. I'm sorry, but whatever way you want to look at it. None of the staff are happy with this announcement.

Archived