Sneaky changes in insurance

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Recently took out a car insurance policy with Swinton, I thought I would use them as they are local to my home and would appear to be a generally good firm. Having had many years driving experience and a full, 10 years + no claims history I go for the copmprehensive option. After purchasing this cover online, the document arrived through the post a few days later. A quick glance showed that the 'Driving other vehicles' extension that I have always had with every other policy I have ever had was not included on the Swinton policy. No explanation, just not included. I contacted my local branch regarding this and was told that there was nothing they could do. I could always cancel the policy and, even though it was less than 7 days since the commencement (distance selling regulations?) of the policy I would be charged £50.00!! So I suppose what I'm asking is;

A. Can they do this?

B. Do the terms of the distance selling regulations not apply to insurance products

c. Has this happened to anyone else?

I suppose I may have to put up with this annoyance for the next year but I will certaily avoid Swinton in future and maybe look at a compay that is happy to make these exclusions obvious!

Rant over.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Recently took out a car insurance policy with Swinton, I thought I would use them as they are local to my home and would appear to be a generally good firm. Having had many years driving experience and a full, 10 years + no claims history I go for the copmprehensive option. After purchasing this cover online, the document arrived through the post a few days later. A quick glance showed that the 'Driving other vehicles' extension that I have always had with every other policy I have ever had was not included on the Swinton policy. No explanation, just not included. I contacted my local branch regarding this and was told that there was nothing they could do. I could always cancel the policy and, even though it was less than 7 days since the commencement (distance selling regulations?) of the policy I would be charged £50.00!! So I suppose what I'm asking is;

A. Can they do this?

B. Do the terms of the distance selling regulations not apply to insurance products

c. Has this happened to anyone else?

I suppose I may have to put up with this annoyance for the next year but I will certaily avoid Swinton in future and maybe look at a compay that is happy to make these exclusions obvious!

Rant over.

The coop charged me over £100 to cancel my policy with only 2 installments left to pay took then to the ombudsman and got it refunded.

I think it would be fair to say then that a lot of people that has an occasion to drive a friends car, will be doing so uninsured?

Could well be..that's why you need to check the insurance schedule..that should list the cover you have..

Archived