Massive queues at Heathrow - bodes well for olympics

Oh dear.

Foreign athletes competing in London 2012 are being advised to leave now to avoid missing their events.

I wonder if cuts to staffing levels have had any effect?

Or those militantly unionised staff working slow on purpose.

A union boss did come out and say recently that there should be disobedience during the olympics. :suspect:

Try work-to-rule/go-slow :rolleyes:

Sorry Chris, but I have to vindicate Hots On here.

Experienced it first hand on 29 April 2012.

Took the Customs desk jockey at East Mids 10 minutes to process me (yes, I counted them), including asking me for a second piece of ID (lucky I had one, even though out of date) and lecturing me about my 'old' French passport showing 'damage' adjacent the photo area.

I get customs-checked and passport-examined at least 20 times time a year, every year, intra- and outra-EU, and my 6-year old passport (which shows absolutely no marks or defects what-so-ever near the photo area, even under magnifying glass) had not ever once raised an eyebrow or elicited any query until then.

Oh, btw - the fast-process 'booths' (for UK passport holders with chips/biometrics thingies) were all shut as well.

I'll let you know how I get on when I get back from the US next week. Might have to post from France (or wherever) if they don't let me back in :twisted:

Oh dear.

Foreign athletes competing in London 2012 are being advised to leave now to avoid missing their events.

I thought part of the wider plan for the Olympics was to give visitors an experience of British culture. Isn't this just part of that?

Luckily for the athletes / coaches / media coming in for the Olympics, they'll be passing through their own special area. And since the accreditations (passes) are linked to passports, it's a relatively quick scanning job and you're through.

That is, provided, they haven't altered your accredditation and removed the one you're holding in your hand from their systems and therefore have no idea who you are or what to do with you. Although my new pass did come with a ∞ symbol, so all was well in the end...

Archived