S Yorks KSI stats - a success story.

Lots of different inputs that go to make the latest local KSI stats what they are but it's a success story whatever the reasons for the reductions.

http://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/news/05042012/6862/south-yorkshire-annual-road-deaths-record-low

These are local figures which will probably be mirrored by the national figures.

To give an international comparison, Germany has seen the same pattern of KSI reductions over the last 30-40 years as we have but suffered an about-face with almost a 10% increase in deaths in 2011 over 2010 suggesting year-on-year reductions can't be taken for granted.

It's good to see them falling but the comparison between single years (2002 and 2011 for example)could be misleading as one large incident could skew the stats..are there any details of the actual accidents that give these numbers anywhere?

It's good to see them falling but the comparison between single years (2002 and 2011 for example)could be misleading as one large incident could skew the stats..are there any details of the actual accidents that give these numbers anywhere?

I'm not sure what extra details you'd like to see for South Yorkshire but you could follow http://www.dft.gov.uk/statistics/series/Road-accidents-and-safety/

and dive into the masses of reports on there. The figures county-by-county are there, I believe from memory.

EDIT: I checked and there's a huge amount of detail by region, Police Force and by local authority, mostly showing latest year or latest two years against a 1994-98 average. There are archives that you can also dive into to obtain each individual year's stats.

I can't see how you reckon one large incident could skew the figures - has there been an incident in South Yorkshire involving 5, 10 or 15 fatalities? (The Selby incident - W Yorks, I know - was recorded as a train crash, by the way). The reduction from 60+ to just 30 is statistically significant since the intervening years, locally and nationally, have seen a steady decline in the numbers. 2011 is demonstrably not a one-off but neither is a similar figure for 2012 guaranteed.

Archived