Does anybody know what the initials A.S.S.C could stand for?

bunny92

I have a lovely solid silver badge passed onto me by my late father, on the hallmark it says Birmingham 1909, and on the front is the Sheffield shield with A.S.S.C above it and SHEFFIELD below it.

I have tried to find out what A.S.S.C stands for but have come up against a blank.

So, I thought there could be someone on here who could enlighten me?

Many thanks

Bunny92

Good question, I think this may have something to do with my grandfather, he was a top engineer at Ambrose Shardlows, but he was also a keen golfer, and I have a gold medal he won in the second class finals at Tinsley Golf club in 1928.

As for my Dad, he was a tanker driver first for Esso, then National Benzole which became Shellmex & BP, so dont think this badge would have been his.

The area they lived in, well, Dad was born in Tricket Road, Hillborough, then before the War they moved onto a new housing estate on Stannington Road, that was about 1936.

Thats about all I can tell you im afraid.

P.S. if I we can post pictures on here, please tell me how do I do this?

I have a lovely solid silver badge passed onto me by my late father, on the hallmark it says Birmingham 1909, and on the front is the Sheffield shield with A.S.S.C above it and SHEFFIELD below it.

I have tried to find out what A.S.S.C stands for but have come up against a blank.

So, I thought there could be someone on here who could enlighten me?

Many thanks

Bunny92

Ambrose Shardlow Sports Club? Just a guess.

Oh yes, I never thought of that, it could well be, most companies had sports clubs in those days didnt they?

I believe Ambrose Shardlow was taken over by GKN in 1961, so that line of enquiry wont be any good I suppose.

Thanks for your reply.

Bunny

Good question, I think this may have something to do with my grandfather, he was a top engineer at Ambrose Shardlows, but he was also a keen golfer, and I have a gold medal he won in the second class finals at Tinsley Golf club in 1928.

As for my Dad, he was a tanker driver first for Esso, then National Benzole which became Shellmex & BP, so dont think this badge would have been his.

The area they lived in, well, Dad was born in Tricket Road, Hillborough, then before the War they moved onto a new housing estate on Stannington Road, that was about 1936.

You have to use a programme like this,http://www.photobucket.com

in answer to the question about the silver medal ,s inscription i read about it in the star newspaper and it i think had something to do with the silversmiths association, maybe wrong,. or amalgamated silver smiths company.

in answer to the question about the silver medal ,s inscription i read about it in the star newspaper and it i think had something to do with the silversmiths association, maybe wrong,.

Hi there, this gets more interesting as the day goes on lol. I had an email from the Star today suggesting that is was a school sports badge, like the one that officials would wear, but I dont think my grandfather was into that sort of thing. I feel that a sports club badge for Ambrose Shardlow is a possibility but it seems quite a posh badge for something as normal as a sports club. As for something to do with Silversmiths, no one in our family had any contacts with that type of work. Although my dad had a friend who was a Little Mester, his name was Fred Street, and he was a silversmith, but I cant see why this badge would be in my dads possessions.

Anyone else any ideas?

Cheers

Bunny

Archived