Does anybody know what the initials A.S.S.C could stand for?

bunny92

Type this in : Sheffield and Hallamshire County Football Association. I cant make out if they are arrows on the badge you posted, but if so this looks like it matches. So does it stand for Amateur. sheffield .soccer. club ?

I emailed the secretary of the footie assn, and here is his reply:-

he crest on the badge is the Sheffield Coat of Arms which many organisations use, including ourselves. If the badge is engraved with 1909 then that suggests a summer sport or club. Football medals would have 1908/09 rather than one year, so I doubt it is football related.

The letters S S suggest to me the words Sunday School and the C could stand for Club or Committee. The A would then stand for a place name - Attercliffe seams a good possibility to me. Did the person live in or go to school in that area?

So that is one line of enquiry closed, but interestingly, my grandad was brought up in Attercliffe, so perhaps this is getting close to the answer.

What a great site Sheffield Indexers is, I have been given a lot of information about my great grandfather and his family which I didnt know before, but not a lot more about A.S.S.C. I am guessing it is one of 2 things, something to do with Ambrose Shardlow, or something to do with Attercliffe. My favourite is Ambrose Shardlows, someone on the indexers site suggested it was Ambrose Shardlow Silver Cup, or Sports Club. The trouble is, Ambrose Shardlows was swallowed up by GKN back in the early 60's so I am doubtful that I will ever get to the bottom of this badge, but I wont stop looking lol.

Bunny

This may be the company who made the silver badge:

Vaughton & Sons 1909..1937

Basket, brooch, button, fob medal, masonic jewel, napkin ring, souvenir spoon, trophy cup

Goldsmiths, Silversmiths & Medallists, Livery Street, Birmingham

Not much help but, a bit of background I suppose.

Regards

Duffems

Archived