Anyone from South Yorkshire in Dorset?

Hi,

I just saw the thread asking if anyone from Sheffield now lives in Cornwall and it's made me think. Does anyone from South Yorkshire now live in Dorset? I'm happy living here but there are times when I just miss the open and friendly nature of us Yorkshire folk. People who are happy to pass the time of day with someone without thinking that perhaps this may commit them to something. Just friendly people with a sense of humour. I know that there are some lovely people here but it's nice now and then to touch base.

Grannypat

Last time I touched base involved walking around Firth Park, seeing the demise that has taken place, and wondering if it was safe to use the cash machine without being mugged.

I suspect most "ex-pats" look through rosé tinted glasses and remember the good old days.

Not Dorset but happy up my Welsh mountain.

Visiting Dorset for a holiday in a few weeks time though.

Hoping it lives up to expectations.

Hi Allen & Melcat,

Firstly you will enjoy Dorset I know, what you can see of it through the many, many tourists, that is. It is a lovely County. Can I ask Melcat whereabouts in East Devon she/he lives? I used to live in North Devon and loved it there.

Grannypat

Dorset's great. I used to live in Lyme Regis. Also lived in Beer which is my favourite haunt. The only things it has now which it didn't have in 1966 are car park, Indian restaurant and an Italian café run by Claude Hayman's grandson.

Hi Grannypat

I am female and I live in Sidbury near Sidmouth. I have been to Dorset today. I walked the coast path around the fleet. It is lovely. I saw quite a few migrating birds today.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 22:56 ----------

I agree Lyme Regis and Beer are lovely. I like walking on Beer Head.

Hi Melcat and MikeG,

I have been to Sidmouth but only a couple of times. It is lovely and you are so lucky living there. I have also been to Beer many times and I just love it there. I live in Dorchester and so have many lovely places in easy reach. I think my favourite over the last few years has been West Bay but Broadchurch has a lot to answer for. It's wall to wall tourists right now. I know that's good for the economy and the local businesses but we locals are even finding it hard to find a parking spot. Hey ho! Come the winter we shall have it to ourselves again.

Grannypat

Hi Grannypat and MikeG

Sidmouth is busy at the moment but not as bad as folk week. Sidmouth is lovely. I like east Devon and Dorset. There are a few ex pat Yorkshire people here. My mum met some at the Yorkshire group in Sidmouth. I am thinking of joining I will let you know how I go on. I have a couple of local friends here and friends from other parts of the country but it is still nice chat with a fellow Yorkshire person.

Archived