Sheffield Springs Academy New Head? 6 in 6 years can not be right?

In a totally neutral position, why is it that schools in the "leafy suburbs" do "well" (and generally maintain their staff for lengthy periods) with regard to results? league tables? etc. As opposed to schools whether or not academies in the less affluent areas of the city?

You have to be pretty affluent to afford some of the houses in the area.

Look at this one, just 0.2 miles from the Academy.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40356788.html?premiumA=true

Or this one, 0.3 miles in a different direction

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22809273.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%5E%7B%2522id%2522%3A1556543%7D%23locationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522id%2522%253A1556543%257D%26box%3D-1.43955%2C-1.42504%2C53.35017%2C53.35848%26popupPropertyId%3D22809273&fromMap=true

I did think of contacting the school but the OFSTED report speaks for itself unfortunately. I suppose no one wants their child to go to a failing school and this school appears to have been struggling for years anyway. Does anyone think it has the potential to drastically improve?

have any of you thought of home schooling? lets face it the stamdard of education in many secondary schools is poor sometimes for the good of you and your kids future and not to mention sanity homesxhooling can be a legitimate option

have any of you thought of home schooling? lets face it the stamdard of education in many secondary schools is poor sometimes for the good of you and your kids future and not to mention sanity homesxhooling can be a legitimate option

You need to be rather smart to cover the 8-10 GCSEs and I think most teachers would hesitate to deviate radically from their curricular expertise.

I did think of contacting the school but the OFSTED report speaks for itself unfortunately. I suppose no one wants their child to go to a failing school and this school appears to have been struggling for years anyway. Does anyone think it has the potential to drastically improve?

You need to realise that in amongst the problems there are plenty of children that are doing well and succeeding to get excellent results.

You can go to a school with a good Ofsted and find that things can change with each year group.

That school, by virtue of being in Special Measures, will be inspected several times a year until it has reached a better grading, or it is taken out of the hands of the sponsor.

How many years before your child goes up to secondary?

You may wish to move house, but the greatest strength that the successful children have is home/parental support.

Many children within the Spring catchment are often succesful in applying to the other nearby schools ... Newfield, Meadowhead & Birley.

why does a head teacher leave a good school, especially one as big as that and 6 in 6 years, i am not knocking the school but for a lot of pupils there, there is a big underlying agenda

Because most of the kids parents are complete tools

i took my son out ..he was comming home coverd in marker pen wouldnt talk to me. when i got him to talk he told me.he was being bullied by older kids .some teachers were crying because they couldnt control the class .his learning was affected badly .hes now in birley.and we can see a great change in him he happy and enjoys going to school again

It sounds like bullying is quite common there unfortunately:( What i find disheartening is that throughout its relatively short history there has never been a positive report, ofsted or otherwise unless i have missed something. This leads me to think that the chances of significant improvement are slim? does anyone know the chances of getting into an alternative school such as meadowhead, birley, or newfield when out of catchment? Has anybody applied for different schools and got in without having to appeal or go to springs first?

I think the penultimate sentence is the truth...

Its all true.

I dont think, unlike you i know!

Unless you can prove your assertion that im wrong?

Can you?

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 09:48 ----------

Have you thought of contacting the school and having a visit to see for yourselves and seeing if your concerns can be answered?

Better still, the op can come see me and my lad.

They can talk to him about how it used to be a good school (albeit with problems) and its now a hole he wants out of.

OP. Send me a pm if you like,

You can talk to my lad and get the scoop first hand.

Archived