Sheffield Springs Academy New Head? 6 in 6 years can not be right?

All I would like to do is quote some passages from the last Ofsted Section 8 report and ask the simple question - Why?

There has been some significant instability in leadership and management since the last inspection. A new, acting Principal was appointed on 31 October 2011 following the decision of the previous Principal to leave the academy. Since then, a number of other changes have taken place in the senior team. Two new assistant principals were internally appointed on 31 January 2012 and will take up their posts as soon as possible.

The lack of continuity in senior leadership over the last five and a half years has meant that professional development has often been reactive, with no sustained and high quality improvement focus.

The long-term improvement of the academy has been substantially impaired by the instability in senior leadership since its establishment in September 2006. The current Principal is the fifth person to occupy the post in five and a half years. As a result, few major improvement initiatives have been able to sustain the quality of development, evaluation and subsequent modification required for lasting impact.

and finally in the penultimate papragraph..... even Ofsted thought that the first steps to a stable senior leadership had taken place from the 31 October

Actions taken by the governing body, sponsor and the new acting Principal since 31 October 2012 have, however, very accurately identified current shortcomings. The sponsor is investing a high level of additional support and stronger links have been made with the local authority. The new acting Principal has taken decisive steps to address weaknesses in senior and middle leadership, although it is far too early to be able to assess their impact. The initial indication, however, is that given some stability in senior leadership, suitable staff have now been appointed to enable significant improvements to be made within the next 12 months.

Fair comment, but you can put the best plans into action it's the end result that counts when the Academy is a bit above average with their end of term results thats when ofstead can say well done chaps, for what it is worth, The Academy has a large multi cultural population there, and most schools of that elk do not do well, there is also "some" bullying goes on there which when reported nothing is done, may i suggest it is not only the heads what has a high turnover it is also the teaching staff, in a nutshell before i fill the page up, a lot of students have a bad attitude and the teachers feel they have too many constraints on them to deal with the matters that do crop up in a school like springs which is not unique by any means.

I totally agree and as the ofsted report said posative changes had already started to happen with the acting head, so why is the acting head not taking over the school that was starting to improve having spoken to a number of other parents to see if they had heard the same have met with major concerns that this is happening!

All I would like to do is quote some passages from the last Ofsted Section 8 report and ask the simple question - Why?

and finally in the penultimate papragraph..... even Ofsted thought that the first steps to a stable senior leadership had taken place from the 31 October

Which is my concern, having read the report as many will have why are things been changed?

........ so why is the acting head not taking over the school ........

Who said that it was starting to improve? Ofsted didn't.

As with any organisation, when the head 'left' an interim acting head was appointed.

Do you really believe that any senior staff changes were her decision alone?

A selection process has taken place .... did the acting head apply?

It is reasonable to think that they have selected the person that they feel is best to move the school forward.

The Governors need to be looking at their 'Academy' status if there's been 6 headteachers in 6 years especially if they've all left due to stress.

The wellfare of all staff should be a priority to Governors.

If the school reverts back to a 'normal' school (although Im not sure how easy this process is) should allievate the immediate stress of running an academy.

There is alot more pressure on a head teacher running an academy than a normal school.

I agree that the acting head / head should have the backing of the governors, I have spoken to another parent today who said they had hear from there child that there would be another head and how angry they were that this was going to happen again to the kids and school again

The Governors need to be looking at their 'Academy' status if there's been 6 headteachers in 6 years especially if they've all left due to stress.

The wellfare of all staff should be a priority to Governors.

If the school reverts back to a 'normal' school (although Im not sure how easy this process is) should allievate the immediate stress of running an academy.

There is alot more pressure on a head teacher running an academy than a normal school.

It is impossible for a school to revert back to a 'normal' school once it has become an Academy - it is a permanent move

I agree that the acting head / head should have the backing of the governors, I have spoken to another parent today who said they had hear from there child that there would be another head and how angry they were that this was going to happen again to the kids and school again

Why should they be angry now?

One head left.

In the interim, someone has ACTED as "Acting Principal".

It is wrong to describe them as having been a substantive "Head".

Now they have appointed a new head.

Any parent that has a child at Springs should look to their neighbours and ask them if they know if their child is misbehaving at school and if so what are they doing to stop such behaviour.

If their child is not misbehaving, what are they prepared to do to address others' misbehaviour that is dragging their school down?

Archived