Sheffield Springs Academy New Head? 6 in 6 years can not be right?

Given that most secondary head teachers get paid around £100,000 a year you would think they would be a bit more resilient.

I don't think so. According to the NAHT http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Revealed-head-earns-PM/story-15362708-detail/story.html the average is £55,000 with less than 1% earning six figures. Some academies offer inflated salaries to heads but nowhere near enough to average £100,000.

We are talking about Secondary Heads.

While a growing number of comprehensive heads are expected to earn more than £100,000, the average primary head was on £52,000 while a secondary head earned £73,000

http://www.teachingtimes.com/news/heads-salaries.htm

OK. A couple of years ago I knew someone in the know who told me the highest paid head in Sheffield (excluding academies, I think) was on about £100,000.

one of the problems is that the council spent millions along with private funding, but they still fail many blame the kids but it's not them at all, these schools should reevaluate their teaching methods and change the syllabus, basic 3 Rs should be taught no matter what, and the kids on an individual basis and ask them what they wanted to learn, its no good forcing kids to learn history, and geography when they have no interest in these subjects. if adults want to learn about being a mechanic they would go to colleage and they are doing stuff they want to do, the same should be for kids and school leavers teach them what they want to learn about,

i am 60 and when i was at school we had to learn the usual lessons and apart from metal work, science, history and 1 or 2 others, kids today dont want to learn about how many wifes henry the 8th had or art they have no use for that imformation how will they use it in real life, only the divorce rate was high then as now, teach modern stuff like whats going on in afghanistan and modern economics subjects, they will use and need in the future give them choices of lessons maybe then there will be less truanting, or skiving off school faking sore throats give them a referendum on what they want that way the will learn modern politics, sorry to have gone on my 13 yr old grandaughter in new zealand are taught the way i would would have been given choices

Why don't you apply for the job?

OK. A couple of years ago I knew someone in the know who told me the highest paid head in Sheffield (excluding academies, I think) was on about £100,000.

Unfortunately for my sins, I am "in the know". Secondary head's pay is one of the most closley guarded secrets in education today. Very few are on the 'main pay scale' and typical pay starts at £86,000 and goes as high as £220,000 (although Shefield does not have anyone on this level of pay just yet).

However, if you are interested in the effect this has on the average pay at your local secondary, check out the following and remember that starting pay for a qualified teacher is £21,000. GO RIGHT TO THE BOTOM OF THE PAGE.

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=131896

According to an article in The Guardian, there's some turmoil at Sheffield Springs Academy this year.

"Some well-known academies are facing an exodus of teachers this summer, Speed Read has learned. Sheffield Springs academy, run by the United Learning Trust charity, is poised to lose at least 25 teaching staff, insiders tell us, while the troubled school is on its third principal of the academic year. This comes after a new permanent head was recently appointed, only to then turn the post down, the ULT citing "family circumstances". In February, Ofsted inspectors criticised the "significant instability in leadership and management" since the academy was established in 2006, as it was then on its fifth principal in that time. Now it's on its sixth."

25 teachers leaving, 3 headteachers in 1 year, and the new headteacher withdrawing from post before starting the job...

Does this sort of thing happen often?

The article only refers to teaching staff. Does the 'exodus' also include support staff, admin, etc?

• 6 months later...

It ended up with 28 teachers of which about half a dozen retired. For 22 fully qualified teachers to leave in one go is astounding!!! What on earth can the underlying problems be?

Well, actually I have a good idea as I'm one of the 22....... Actually, it's a cracking school with some brilliant members of staff that are committed, hard working and genuinely care for the students. The problem I had was with the way the school was being run.

Simple really, would love to tell more, but can't...........

Archived