Sheffield Springs Academy New Head? 6 in 6 years can not be right?

This school seems to be achieving the lowest in 5 A-C grades at GCSE of all the mainstream schools in Sheffield. It seems to have got 31% last year, as against King Edwards at 51% and Silverdale at 71%. http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=LA&no=373&superview=sec

That is a huge and scary gap and if I was a parent of a child at this school I would be worried. What is needed in such schools are much much smaller classes and setting by ability.

This school seems to be achieving the lowest in 5 A-C grades at GCSE of all the mainstream schools in Sheffield. It seems to have got 31% last year, as against King Edwards at 51% and Silverdale at 71%. http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=LA&no=373&superview=sec

That is a huge and scary gap and if I was a parent of a child at this school I would be worried. What is needed in such schools are much much smaller classes and setting by ability.

The more worrying stat for me is re making progress:

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=LA&superview=sec&view=aat&set=5&sort=&ord=&tab=78&no=373&pg=1

where it is in the low 40% against others highs - eg 89% at Handsworth.

and High Storrs - with a great stat of 925 is where you would want your child to be if they were a "low achiever"

So, if you're a parent of a child at the school, sorry, academy, what powers do you have when faced with figures like this? Do you have a right to know what's behind the mass exodus of staff? Can you demand that the school be returned to the hands of the LA? Or is it really the case that once a school becomes an Academy, parents have virtually no powers whatsoever in these circumstances, and neither has the LA?

How do you protect pupils from something like this? It's very interesting in the light of Sheffield's move to academies across the city which looks set to continue until all Sheffield schools have become academies within a short time scale. If the LA are no longer responsible for a growing number of schools, what is happening within the LA? Is there a large re-structuring going on? I must say, as a parent, I'm very concerned about all this. Should there be a halt put on Sheffield's move towards academies until the existing ones prove their worth? I'm not sure I like this experiment with our children's futures at all.

Ofsted inspections have recognised the failings and Springs is currently in "special measures" which, I think, means that inspectors have to approve a plan to improve and have regular monitoring to see that the plan is working.

The state does still have powers to intervene if they fail to improve.

Teachers come and go. Did they jump or were they pushed?

Perhaps a clean sweep should have taken place earlier?

Don't parents still have representation on the Board of Governors, along with staff?

To keep things in perspective, many years of Sheffield Education Authority repeatedly failed to address the problems of this school which I guess warranted an alternative approach.

I think problems in the school reflect problems in the catchment area,which lacks diversity and aspiration.How many parents in the area have a positive experience of education?There is a low level of social mobility and I presume anyone who is successful leaves,robbing the area of positive role models.

i shouldnt imagine its the headteachers fault why the school is rubbish its the children and parents, the teachers can only teach those infront of them and if they dont want to learn and the parents dont wish to support the teachers then theyve had it

You seem to be saying that the Head can't have an impact on the pupils' learning. If that was the case it would be hard to justify the salary, no?

In a totally neutral position, why is it that schools in the "leafy suburbs" do "well" (and generally maintain their staff for lengthy periods) with regard to results? league tables? etc. As opposed to schools whether or not academies in the less affluent areas of the city? Is it parental support or lack of? or is it low aspirations? I am genuinely saddened by todays youth and would love to be able to genuinely help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived