Photograph - Crookes Valley Park?

sy89

I quote this from wdytya forum

"I can't say when the photo was taken but the park looks a bit like Crookes Valley Park in Sheffield, taken from the angle of where the bowling green is now over towards Ponderosa. I say this because of the line of trees seem familiar and there looks like railings from the road there too.

If it is Sheffield it would be worth putting it on Sheffield Forum. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk"

I was the person who answered you query but I didn't see the second photo on the WDYTYA forum which gives us a different angle. I agree from that the Park/land is more rural than urban. I don't think it is the Crookes Cemetery field though as I walked through there every did to school and would have recognised it straight away. I would go with Stannington/ Lodgemoor or Fulwood myself now. I will try to get as many history buffs to see it as possible so we can identify it for you.:)

I`d go for Lodge Moor.A V.E. day party, especially with the soldiers being there.It looks to me like the road leading up to Stanage edge from Lodge Moor.
I was also thinking Lodge Moor or Redmires. The original Fairthorn children's convalescent home was in that area (the drive ran parallel to the road leading to Stanage Edge - it's now a private house). Fairthorn moved to Dore in 1946, and so this could conceivably be a VE day celebration there. Otherwise not too far away was Crimicar Lane (tuberculosis) Hospital - the picturesheffield.com site has this photo taken there which shows similar surroundings.

Anyway, at least it's been established that the photos were not taken at Crookes Valley Park..:)

Thankyou Rivelin6

Yes some good comments over there too, I agree with Lindsay with the overhead power cables.

Hillsbro - yes looks very similar.

Having looked at the photo again, it may have a family member which I recognise but need to talk to a lost member whom I am trying to

Archived