Advice on how to bulk-up weight?

Get him eating 1.5 grams of protein for each lb of his bodyweight, don't overtrain, and get sleep.

Edit, I'll add a bit more.

This may be counter intuitive, but he needs to spend as little time in the gym as possible. He should be doing 3 sets of 8 reps, and struggling to lift on the ninth. If he wants to get big, he needs to lift large but for short durations.

My son wants to build-up his body-weight to look bigger in size. He attends a gym and does ok.

The purpose of this thread is to ask advice on what to eat to bulk-up. I don't really want him on these muscle build-up shakes and stuff, would like him to gain weight through eating the correct food to build-up body mass. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Come on all you muscle-men, give me some tips on how too fill him out.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that bulking and cutting is what professional bodybuilders do and I wouldn't recommend it to the extreme for someone who casually wants to gain a bit of muscle.

The idea is that for every extra bit of muscle, the body needs more weight on it as muscle is counter-productive for the body and leads to the burning of more calories in resting. If you don't eat enough then outside of the initial start-up period, your body won't gain much - it's like trying to run a car without petrol.

Professional bodybuilders often take this to the extreme. To get the size that they are they have to eat an incredible amount of food and put on a good amount of body fat to convince the body they can handle the muscle. Then before a competition they will cut the fat down to as little as possible whilst also trying to keep the muscle. That's why bodybuilders have a competition weight and an off-season weight which is generally much higher. This is a decent example of 'off-season'

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5179/5432627204_4c2288580c.jpg

He will do well by just eating high protein foods in proper meals. He will have to cut out junk food and beer too.

However, if he really does want to add weight fast then I recommend peanut butter. I gained 7 kilos in a matter of weeks by eating it. You can get 1kg tubs from Holland and Barrett which taste great and are pretty cheap.

EDIT: As f0rd said above, rest is as important as working out. Most people do a 5 day high-intensity training split with 2 rest days a week and lots of sleep.

I never had the time to eat 4/5 small well-balanced meals a day.But, this worked for me...

Tins of Tuna/tins of sardines etc:

After a work out i would crack 4 eggs in a pint glass.Give it a good mix,then add a bit of orange cordial.Sounds gross,but tastes nearly as good as a milk shake.Believe me,this was the best way for me to bulk up.

Sleep is the most important element when weight training.

I never had the time to eat 4/5 small well-balanced meals a day.But, this worked for me...

Tins of Tuna/tins of sardines etc:

After a work out i would crack 4 eggs in a pint glass.Give it a good mix,then add a bit of orange cordial.Sounds gross,but tastes nearly as good as a milk shake.Believe me,this was the best way for me to bulk up.

Sleep is the most important element when weight training.

Surely there are more pleasant ways of eating protein. That is all you're essentially doing.

Surely there are more pleasant ways of eating protein. That is all you're essentially doing.

My system was a quick and simple protein fix.

I still had a well-balance diet,but you need to get the protein and nutrients in ya system within i guess an hour after training.

Archived