Giving up drink

Think I will give up when I die. That could be a lot sooner than I think.

Have recently seen a few friends cut short. Not one of them that has died in the past year lived above 40, only one seen 30.

I'm glad I opted out of the pension!

I'm currently trying to cut down daily units but to no avail. I'm on the list for a home detox and am going to try give it 6months - a year off just to heal my body up.

well done on deciding to do that, hope it goes well for you, i recomment a supervised detox, if you have been a heavey drinker for a long time, its dodgy just stopping the ale

GF x

Any tips? Anyone gave up, how do you run your social life?

It all comes down to will power, for me its peer pressure, I don’t actually like drink, I only do it to 'fit in'.

Good luck!!

Any tips? Anyone gave up, how do you run your social life?

I 'just' stopped. I did the same with smoking. I tried stopping before but failed. When I stopped trying I succeeded. I just turned around one day and said 'I don't drink anymore', and it has been easy ever since. I occasionally have a non alcoholic beer on a hot day, or when my wife has wine (she still drinks). But I am happy I stopped, it's been nothing but positive for me.

As far as socializing goes, if I go out I just have a coke or a tea. None of my friends mind that I don't drink, in fact I think they're glad I don't as I usually end up as the designated driver.

I think It's about attitude, if you want to stop you will, if you don't you won't. I honestly do think it's as simple as that.

well done on deciding to do that, hope it goes well for you, i recomment a supervised detox, if you have been a heavey drinker for a long time, its dodgy just stopping the ale

GF x

yeah had a councilling session today, think I get 12 of them, meanwhile I get assessed to see if I can have a detox which can either be an in hospital stay or just done at home. I am really impressed with the service I actually feel like people want to help rather than lookign down on you.

yeah had a councilling session today, think I get 12 of them, meanwhile I get assessed to see if I can have a detox which can either be an in hospital stay or just done at home. I am really impressed with the service I actually feel like people want to help rather than lookign down on you.

Are you sure you are not mentally ill?

Archived