Giving up drink

Are you sure you are not mentally ill?

what ya said that for, ********?...are you ill in the head for asking? i think councelling is essential to an ex drinker and suddenly quitting the booze without support can be really dangerous, go on try it:loopy::rant:

Why do people have to STOP?

Why not just drink in moderation, when you want to? Control it, not let it control you.

I even binge drink in moderation, just every now and again. I enjoy a beer/wine and would not be without it, but probably don't drink more than 14 units a week.

People who stop drinking alcohol altogether are just as obsessional about it as the people that can't stop and drink to excess imho.

Why not just drink in moderation, when you want to? Control it, not let it control you.

I even binge drink in moderation, just every now and again. I enjoy a beer/wine and would not be without it, but probably don't drink more than 14 units a week.

People who stop drinking alcohol altogether are just as obsessional about it as the people that can't stop and drink to excess imho.

You obviously don't understand much about alcohol addiction and its causes.

I even binge drink in moderation, just every now and again. I enjoy a beer/wine and would not be without it, but probably don't drink more than 14 units a week.[/Quote]

I think what some people are talking about is alcohol addiction though which is different. I think most people probably do drink in 'moderation'.

I think you should put some at the start of that. I'm not obsessional, I just don't drink, my wife does, some of my friends do, but I don't go on at them about drinking. In fact I never even mention it, I just accept that they drink and I don't. If it does come up in conversation (which is exceptionally rare) it is my experience that the drinker tries to excuse themselves drinking (when they find out I don't) by saying 'I don't drink much though'. Not a problem, drink as much or as little as you choose.

You obviously don't understand much about alcohol addiction and its causes.

No, not really, because I don't have an addictive personality, which is why I asked the question, this being a discussion forum. Discuss what I don't know, and answer my honest questions, rather than shout out my ignorance.

I know what addiction is, but I would like to know why it seems in particular to drink/drugs/gambling that there is this opinion that the only solution is to stop totally rather than cut down.

It's not the same with other addictions such as sex, food or exercise.

I think you should put some at the start of that. I'm not obsessional, I just don't drink, my wife does, some of my friends do, but I don't go on at them about drinking. In fact I never even mention it, I just accept that they drink and I don't. If it does come up in conversation (which is exceptionally rare) it is my experience that the drinker tries to excuse themselves drinking (when they find out I don't) by saying 'I don't drink much though'. Not a problem, drink as much or as little as you choose.

I should have put some, yes.

But you still drink don't you, it's just that you choose not to drink alcohol. If you don't like the taste then fine, but you used to drink it so I'm going to assume it's not that, and you said you have the occasional non alcoholic beer.

I can understand why you, or anybody, would want to stop smoking because I fail to understand why anybody would want to start in the first place. Smoking in moderation is bad, drinking alcohol in moderation is not, in fact it might be good.

What's the difference between drinking the occasional alcoholic beer on a hot day, and the occasional non-alcoholic drink on a hot day?

I just wonder if we give alcohol too much respect, and demonise it unnecessarily. Is it possible that when people say they must stop totally, that to touch another drop will return them to a spiral of uncontrolled drinking, that we actually make it sort of inevitable?

I should have put some, yes.

But you still drink don't you, it's just that you choose not to drink alcohol. If you don't like the taste then fine, but you used to drink it so I'm going to assume it's not that, and you said you have the occasional non alcoholic beer.

I can understand why you, or anybody, would want to stop smoking because I fail to understand why anybody would want to start in the first place. Smoking in moderation is bad, drinking alcohol in moderation is not, in fact it might be good.

What's the difference between drinking the occasional alcoholic beer on a hot day, and the occasional non-alcoholic drink on a hot day?[/Quote]

There isn't one, I just choose not to do it.

I just wonder if we give alcohol too much respect, and demonise it unnecessarily. Is it possible that when people say they must stop totally, that to touch another drop will return them to a spiral of uncontrolled drinking, that we actually make it sort of inevitable?

That may be the wrong thing to ask me, I didn't stop because I had a 'problem', I stopped because I wanted to, I don't like being drunk or the after effects of being drunk. I also don't have the experience to answer wether someone who is 'dependant' on it will return to a uncontrollable drinking.

I don't demonise alcohol, as I said in my first post, my wife and some friends drink, I certainly don't sit there saying that they're going to all become alcoholics and their livers will explode. I prefer to give people the respect that they are responsible enough to be accountable for their own actions.

If I saw a friend becoming 'controlled' by drink I would suggest that maybe they were drinking too much, but I think most of my friends who drink would do the same so I wouldn't say that is someone who doesn't drink demonising it either.

If i was asked for advice or help by a friend who thought they drank too much I would give them any help I could, again without preaching, that's not the way I like to live my life (preaching), I just get on with things and let other people do the same.

I would love to give up drink. I dont drink a lot, just a glass of red wine every evening with my tea, but apparantly the glass Im using is too big, and Im drinking above the approved level.[/QUOTE]

And the very people who made this rule up, are sat in westminster holding a tax free treble whisky in one hand and a tax free King Edward cigar in the other.

Archived