Mixed race and the "One Drop Rule"

A slave could become a free man and even a Roman Citizen. The Romans also allowed anyone from their colonies to become Roman Citizens if they served the empire well enough, so they ended up quite a mixed bunch. There were even African born emperors, although from North Africa so they would have been Berber I assume (I don't know for sure).
Yes, I know. I was following a previous post and using it in the thread context that it was not that likely that even a low percentage of the inhabitants of these islands were mixed race in Roman times and probably not until the latter half of the last century.

The Romans were a very interesting and efficient people, but they didn't have much truck with multi-culturalism did they, not until the advent of Christianity anyway. And wasn't it that more or less sounded the death knell of their Empire? Sorry, getting off topic now.

In the '60s, my parents had difficulty getting rented housing in London. When they moved to Sheffield, my dad uised to go and look round the property without my mother, as they experienced local residents objecting and vendors refusing to sell if she showed up.

We don't have an Anglo equivalent to 'African-American', which would solve a lot of these problems, but then you'd need different categories for English West Indian, English-African etc etc. .

As i understand it the term West Indian was changed to African-Caribbean but West Indian has become acceptable again.

It can take time for some people to get used to changes,thats what makes it a sensitive subject,which is a pity but its the issue of prejudice that has been the the cause of that.

What I don't get is why celebrities (or non-celebrities) ditch their natural look in favour of obviously bleached hair e.g. Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Tina Turner - and Lindsey Lohan is a natural redhead

it could look as if they are discriminating against themselves

What I don't get is why celebrities (or non-celebrities) ditch their natural look in favour of obviously bleached hair e.g. Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Tina Turner - and Lindsey Lohan is a natural redhead

it could look as if they are discriminating against themselves

There's nothing wrong with experiementing with one's look, as most actresses do. Is it any different to getting a perm and having a perma-spray tan on?

There's nothing wrong with experiementing with one's look, as most actresses do. Is it any different to getting a perm and having a perma-spray tan on?

I agree they could be experimenting but the look always appears over the top

I can tell the difference between a Chinese and a Japanese and I can tell a Vietnamese from both of them

Yes, me too, that's why I said SOME. There will be SOME Japanese who look more Chinese and vice versa. I even know English peopel who look more oriental in features than English.

The thing is, erm, well how to word it..

If there was a rapist who was 25% black and the media ran a story claiming he was black I don't think that would be supported by the same people who claim people are black when its in a positive light?

You make a good point there.

its the same with Andy Murray british if he wins, Scottish when he fails to win, majority of Black/White, whatever colour will happily embrace a winner, then spite someone for being less than successful. People seem to love too look up to some and are even happier to look down on others, so beit.

Yes, me too, that's why I said SOME. There will be SOME Japanese who look more Chinese and vice versa. I even know English peopel who look more oriental in features than English.

That's possibly because somewhere back in the mists of time they probably had an Asian ancestor.

Archived