What have the condems done for you

Guest sibon
They have increased my personal tax allowance by quite a lot much more than liebour ever did.

Has your improved tax allowance outweighed the extra that you pay for petrol or bus/taxi fares?

The massive increase in fuel prices is a direct consequence of Government policy.

Has your improved tax allowance outweighed the extra that you pay for petrol or bus/taxi fares?

The massive increase in fuel prices is a direct consequence of Government policy.

just about,dont forget it was liebour who introdced the fuel tax escalator,funny how some people have short memories isnt it.;)

Will Hutton this morning in The Guardian

It is time for a change of direction, before we have a completely wasted generation.

Interesting. But in some ways this is working to plan. They want generation after generation to be wasted. Transfer the wealth to an elite who then preside over a low wage economy based on impoverished regions that can compete globally.

Guest sibon
just about,dont forget it was liebour who introdced the fuel tax escalator,funny how some people have short memories isnt it.;)

I've got a very long memory. I've seen all of this before in 1982. If you are really so easily bought by a small cut in your direct taxation, whilst putting up with a swingeing increase in indirect taxation, so be it.

In the last three years, Vat is up by 2.5%. Your petrol bill is up by almost 40%. Staple food is up by who knows how much. The interest on your savings has collapsed.

None of this matters to Osbourne or Cameron. It will bite you and me in the bum though.

Read my Will Hutton link up there ^^^ for more

Why not slightly broaden the OP's original question, without negative comments if possible. What was the last positive thing any government did for you?

I'm thinking :huh:Still thinking:huh:nope can't think of anything sorry:(

To blame them for the food and fuel increases is a tad mean, they have been increasing over the past decade and will continue to increase. Petrol increase by 60p litre between 2000 and 2008 taking the price to £1.20 per litre.

Off the top of my head: Frozen my pay for what will probably be a decade. Increased VAT on most things that I buy. Allowed inflation to rise to 5%. Increased the price of most staple foodstuffs by 20%. Devalued our currency so that everything we buy costs more on a daily basis. Trebled University fees for my kids. Reduced my pension by about 20%. Increased my pension payments by 30%. Eroded my savings by printing money to support those who have over borrowed.

And they've just thrown the economy into a double dipper, so there is worse to come.

Still, at least they are clearing up the mess left by the last Government:rolleyes:

Shock, horror! Do you mean you're actually having to fund your own pension? That can't be right - maybe a strike is in order?

Shock, horror! Do you mean you're actually having to fund your own pension? That can't be right - maybe a strike is in order?

Private pensions attract tax advantages, in some cases very generous. We all pay for that.

Archived