Car insurance prices!!

Dont think its the area pay less than £400 full comp for an Audi 2ltr sport engine for myself and hubby. Car crimes rife all over the country. If you've had you car over a year why have you no claims? My son as only 17 btw

I was on my mums policy for my first year, i might possibly have a years no claims I just don't use it if so, i don't mind paying 1300 on a car that would embarrass most cars on the road

They wouldn't allow my son on our policy ( ins companys are catching on ) so he had to have his own, would allow my daughter though. so fingers crossed by the time he's 21 he should have 4 years no claims.Let us know who the insurance co is and then we may get a better deal ourselves next year

Thanks for the replies. unikkatil who are you insured by? i would be happy paying £1300 on a car that doesnt 'embarrass' most cars on the road as it is obvious I need to build up one years no claims and then look at better cars. And I have tried bending the truth saying I only drive 5000 miles a year and catch the train to work etc..

The co-op are the cheapest as they have come in at £2,813.42 but I'm put off by that box thing. Being 21, in the real world I am going to drive after 11pm and may occasionally go faster than 30mph so I dont think this would be a viable option.

Another thing I have been told is to get a traders policy....does anyone know anything about these?

Hello all......

I am wondering if you could help me.

I am 21 and have just passed my test (and Pass Pluss) in Jan this year. I have just bought myself a little 1.4 petrol car (to the value of £4k so nothing amazing) but the car insurance prices are unreal. This is what I have had so far:

Zenneth - £3600

Admiral - £4568

Quinn Direct - £4521.02

These are a joke in my opinion and I refuse to pay!!

I have been on that website where the f*t bloke that sings annoying opera and the prices are still way too expensive.

I would be really greatful if someone could help or point me in the right direction!

Cheers

Sam :)

Sorry Sam, but you are in the peak accident age bracket and - as you said - you've just passed your test.

Insurance premiums for peoplee in yur age group with your experience levels are high because:

1. They have shedloads of accidents. (far more, for instance than do 40- year old ladies with 10 years driving experience.)

Do you really think that all those middle-aged ladies should be required to subsidise newly-qualified drivers?

Why don't you get your Dad to subsidise you?

It i indeed unfair. Young people are stuck with ever- increasing insurance premiums because - irrespective of what people say here or elsewhere - the buggers keep having expensive accidents and somebody has to pay.

There is a way around it!

Stop having accidents!

My last accident (not my fault and I sued the bugger who caused it) was in 2000.

I had another (not at fault) accident in 1968.

I've paid premiums every year. I don't pay a lot - but then again, I have a pretty good record.

I am a 'Well qualified' driver (I re-test periodically - at my own expense ... suites me.)

If you want to be a good driver - find an advanced driving course. If you want cheap insurance, that's easy to find... Decide for yourself whether it's wprth the money.

Even as a 35 year old with 7 years' no claims bonus and restricted mileage I paid 3 times the value of the car in insurance (and that was a few years ago) so even with shopping around it's likely to cost you a significant sum I'm afraid.

Insurance for the first few years after you pass your test, especially if you're really young, is expensive for a reason. You're way more likely to make claims which are your own fault in the couple of years after passing your test, so that is reflected in the premiums.

I'd recommend phoning a few brokers and asking for a quote and possibly their advice on what would reduce your premium. If your address is counting against you then that is a pretty hard one to get around, but if it's how you're writing your occupation then that is something that you can change.

For instance, if I put that I'm retired I get one price, but if I put that I'm a medical rep (which I suppose I am, on long term sick) then I get a different one and if I enter my voluntary job, which is as a teacher, then I get another different price.

There are lots of little things that can change your premium, including whether you have off road parking, a garage, tracker etc. and talking to a broker over the phone may help you work out which way is best for you and which will give you the cover that you need without charging you the earth.

Unfortunately I suspect that you will still be paying what I consider a silly amount of money, but at least you'll get to explore your options.

Like some have said, try a broker. I do my insurance through Wye Insurance, Bakewell. They usually find me a decent price. Although I havent had a claim for several years when I did when I was younger they sorted everything out for me. Being clueless back then that helped a lot!!

Also although I live on my own and in my thirtys i have my sister on my policy as a named driver as its cheaper than being a single bloke. Bizarre!! They know little tricks than that;)

You'll never get car insurance as cheap as someone like myself because I'm an old git and, touch wood, not been caught speeding or had a bump for 8+ years. Unfortunately due to your age with zero no claims you will always pay a high figure:(

Good luck:thumbsup:

0800 0556688

Sign on till the state collapses.

The state forces you to buy insurance. Do not comply.

Encouraging law breaking will ensure that your posts are removed. The law states that if you have a car it must be insured, therefore the choice is not to insure or not to insure, it is whether to own a car or not.

Personal civil disobedience is one thing, but urging others to break laws doesn't go down too well with me.

Encouraging law breaking will ensure that your posts are removed. The law states that if you have a car it must be insured, therefore the choice is not to insure or not to insure, it is whether to own a car or not.

Personal civil disobedience is one thing, but urging others to break laws doesn't go down too well with me.

I haven't encouraged any law breaking.

Most jobs require a car, if you are priced out of car ownership, you are often priced out of the labour market, rationally you must sign on till the state collapses and car ownership becomes affordable so that you can re-enter the labour market. Or wait for car ownership to become affordable so that you can participate in the labour market.

If car insurance is unaffordable - don't buy it, don't drive, don't drive to work, don't work.

Archived