Car insurance prices!!

Because its a reasonable cost to bear.

If we are taking about the damage a young person can do in a car then thats one thing, but then what about the damage any of us could do in our cars?

What about truck drivers, imagine the damage they can do, what about tradesmen/tradeswomen driving around from job to job? they are more likely to have an accident because their job role involves travelling from job to job, think of the damage a van laden with tools can do.

If you want to force young drivers off the road, then simply make them pay £100,000 a year for insurance -its easy. You could also force tradespeople off the road, what about old people, how about mums with babys in the back seat (distracted mum, turns round to look at the baby and ploughs into a bus stop wiping out 20 people in one go).

ALl this "this might happen" or "that might happen" is health and safety gone mad. Before we know it, it will be unsafe for any of us to leave the house.

Making young people pay £3500 for insurance serves no benefit to anyone, young people then cannot spend money in other businesses, they cannot get a home (unless they choose not to work) and if nobody can afford to go to work, then who is going to support all these people who cannot afford to go to work?

YES - you up the taxes for all those in work. That means those who can just about afford to go to work, now cannot afford to go to work because they pay so much in tax.....to pay for the people who don't work because they can't afford to.

NOt everyone works in a 9-5 job and happens to live on a well served bus route

The price insurance companies charge is based on risk..would you be willing to take £500 off a young,inexperienced driver and take the risk of having to pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds..? Just to clarify, I think insurance is expensive but that doesn't mean it's not justified...

I didn't have a car when I first started work and had to catch 2 buses to get there and worked shifts...why do you think it's different today?

The price insurance companies charge is based on risk..would you be willing to take £500 off a young,inexperienced driver and take the risk of having to pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds..? Just to clarify, I think insurance is expensive but that doesn't mean it's not justified...

With insurance it is simply legaised theft and people have no choice but to buy it.

If you wish to be part of the labour market then you have no choice in many case but to have the use of a car. I have been working for 20 years and apart from about 2 years, I have had to use a car to get to work or to do the job in hand.

Which is why the insurance companies are in a position to do what they do, they know the customer has no choice so they can charge what they like (or make additional charges for silly things like changing an address)

There is no other area of business where a company can treats its customers with absolute comtempt and force them to pay through the nose

With insurance it is simply legaised theft and people have no choice but to buy it.

If you wish to be part of the labour market then you have no choice in many case but to have the use of a car. I have been working for 20 years and apart from about 2 years, I have had to use a car to get to work or to do the job in hand.

Which is why the insurance companies are in a position to do what they do, they know the customer has no choice so they can charge what they like (or make additional charges for silly things like changing an address)

There is no other area of business where a company can treats its customers with absolute comtempt and force them to pay through the nose

So would you be willing to risk insuring someone who's just passed their test for £500? Simple enough question

If we are taking about the damage a young person can do in a car then thats one thing, but then what about the damage any of us could do in our cars?

It's based on risk, young people are more likely to crash so therefore have to bear the increased cost.

What about truck drivers, imagine the damage they can do, what about tradesmen/tradeswomen driving around from job to job? they are more likely to have an accident because their job role involves travelling from job to job, think of the damage a van laden with tools can do.

All of these people pay a premium commensurate to the risk they pose.

If you want to force young drivers off the road, then simply make them pay £100,000 a year for insurance -its easy. You could also force tradespeople off the road, what about old people, how about mums with babys in the back seat (distracted mum, turns round to look at the baby and ploughs into a bus stop wiping out 20 people in one go).

ALl this "this might happen" or "that might happen" is health and safety gone mad. Before we know it, it will be unsafe for any of us to leave the house.

It's not H&S gone mad. The HSE has no bearing on setting insurance premium levels.

Whilst premiums may be to high, and I've yet to see any evidence presented in this thread demonstrating that they are, it is a fact of life that premiums are based on risk. If you're in a high risk category expect to pay more for insurance.

That said, there are ways young drivers can lower their premiums such as:

1) Speak to a broker BEFORE buying a car to ensure you get one that will have the lowest possible premium. This rules out hot hatches and the like.

2) Have a tracker fitted to monitor your driving.

3) Take an advanced driving course.

jb

How would you finance the massive payouts that come along?

1) stop the compensation culture - thats a good start.

Can we say all road accidents are the fault of car drivers? despite Sheffield almost being covered in pelican crossings (crookes, Ecclesall Road) you often see students simply wandering into the road without looking.

We see people simply walking out from behind buses - these are adults, it seems basic "green cross code" has passed many people by.

Making young people pay £3500 for insurance serves no benefit to anyone, young people then cannot spend money in other businesses, they cannot get a home (unless they choose not to work) and if nobody can afford to go to work, then who is going to support all these people who cannot afford to go to work?

YES - you up the taxes for all those in work. That means those who can just about afford to go to work, now cannot afford to go to work because they pay so much in tax.....to pay for the people who don't work because they can't afford to.

NOt everyone works in a 9-5 job and happens to live on a well served bus route

Have you seen the cost of commercial truck insurance?

I can assure you that the cost that a young driver pays is proportionate to that paid for a commercial truck. On top of the truck insurance the employer will also have to have their load insured separately and then have a really large public liability insurance policy too.

10 years ago the insurance for one truck, trailer, load and driver was approaching £500 a month.

1) stop the compensation culture - thats a good start.

So if someone drives into the back of my car when I'm in it and causes me to be unable to work through injury I should just say "oh don't worry"? Or should I be compensated to have at least the same income as I did before?

Can we say all road accidents are the fault of car drivers? despite Sheffield almost being covered in pelican crossings (crookes, Ecclesall Road) you often see students simply wandering into the road without looking.

Are car drivers held responsible for all accidents?

Archived