Car insurance prices!!

According to ROSPA:

Over 3000 car drivers aged under 25 are killed or seriously injured on Britain’s roads each year.

1 in 5 drivers crash within their first year of driving

1 in 3 male drivers aged between 17 and 20 years crash in the first two years after passing their test.

Young drivers are more likely to be involved in highspeed crashes, single vehicle crashes involving losing control, crashes in the dark and crashes when overtaking and negotiating bends

Ok, so hows this for an idea? What if the insurance companies took a 'bond', say, oh I dunno, 5 grand lets say. yes, that's one hell of a lot of money, but if you know you're going to have to get the bond together before venturing onto the road, then you plan for it.

Then once they have the bond, charge 'reasonable' annual premiums until their NCB has been built up!

You could all go round in circles all day, and still get nowhere argueing about this or that.

As others have said, it's not just insuring that person's car. It's also insuring the cars of anybody else that is involved in an accident with the insured person (and that could include £90,000 of Mercedes Benz or £150,000 of 40 tonne truck and trailer, plus £1,000,000+ of lost load) plus damage to road furniture, injury liability to anybody else involved in the crash and the cost of any emergency services involvement in cutting people out of the crash, transporting them to hospital and clearing away the scene of the crash.

Why would the insurance company have to pay for the emergency services?

You still haven't said how you come about that figure..One small claim from that person and your income's gone...your business would be bankrupt..

He probably got the figure in the same way insurance companies seem to come up with their figures. Seemingly made up (as stated in the telegraph article I linked to).

It's true that a young person can write off a 90k Mercedes but the fact is that most of them aren't. In fact, according to the figures above, most people under 20 aren't evern crashing in their first year of driving yet they are still paying thousands of pounds a year for insurance. Also how does this explain that, according to figures, people on average are paying over £500 a year for insurance? Most people have been driving for more than one year and are over 21 (people who pay car insurance).

I understand and support the idea of insurance as mandatory for being on the road, but something is not right at the moment. You cannot justify the costs of insurance at the moment. If it's fraudulent claims, then this needs to be regulated, if it's profiteering insurance companies the this also needs to be regulated.

Ok, so hows this for an idea? What if the insurance companies took a 'bond', say, oh I dunno, 5 grand lets say. yes, that's one hell of a lot of money, but if you know you're going to have to get the bond together before venturing onto the road, then you plan for it.

Then once they have the bond, charge 'reasonable' annual premiums until their NCB has been built up!

You could all go round in circles all day, and still get nowhere argueing about this or that.

They wouldn't need any annual premiums. If they had 5000 from everyone then the interest they would make on this should be payment enough

I think the way car insurance is going, is putting young people at a huge disadvantage in the labour market, because unless a young person happens to live/work on a bus route, then the chances of them being able to afford to go to work is almost impossible.

If someone is paid the minimum wage and does a 35 hour week, then they will be earning £212.80, less tax means they will probably earn about £185 a week, so after tax will be earning £9620

If they then have to pay £3500 just on car insurance then that leaves them with £6120 to live on (£117.69 a week after tax).

£117.69 a week to buy petrol, tax the car, pay the rent (paying rent is out as you only have about £470 a month after tax), pay council tax, bills, buy food etc.....its not viable to go to work.

What about a young person who chooses to go Self Employed? A hairdresser, a plumber etc..... this means they have to charge more than an older tradesperson to make up the gap of this initial outgoing.

The fact is, not everyone is going to end up working in the Public Sector, have a 9-5 role and be fortunate enough to live/work on a bus route.

Some people may have to go self employed, do shift work and travel at a time where buses are not available. Is it really fair to price young people from the work place, or do we simply want to force all young people to live on benefits and claim "they are a scrounging generation"?

Somebody gets it. :thumbsup:

I've never paid that much, i guess it's your area, i'm actually from the north west and my first car was 900 pounds full comp then 600 the year after, now 1300 on a r5 gt turbo which is a 1.4 but turbocharged and i'm 21, not a single years no claims

Renault 5 gt turb, arnt they those little French roller skates.

Why would the insurance company have to pay for the emergency services?

Have you not seen a bill from the emergency services for attending the scene of an RTC? They are pretty commonplace these days.

The fire service are entitled to charge for attending any situation which doesn't involve putting out a fire, so cutting someone out of a car, pumping water out of a flooded home or dealing with a chemical spill are all likely to involve a bill arriving somewhere along the line (usually paid by the insurance company of the person found liable for the crash).

The ambulance service can recoup costs up to a certain amount for each journey too.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/3398/contents/made

Can I suggest you take a look at the snappily titled 'The Personal Injuries (NHS Charges) (Reviews and Appeals) and Road Traffic (NHS Charges) (Reviews and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations 2006' link above?

Ring a broker for advice. Your "little 1.4 petrol car" may work out dearer than others. My brother found a 2L diesel cheaper than a 1 litre Corsa.

Corsa is now the boy racer specials !

I found too that 3rd party has been quoted more for me than fully comp !

When I say more I don't mean £2-3 , I mean in the 100's. I'm with octagon and I pay £700 for 2L golf TDi mk5 worth over 5k fully comp. Now same insurer it was £1100 or there abouts for 3rd party f&f.

Tesco who I declined to reinsure with only knocked me £45 off my renewal from £900 to £855 with £20 in store gift vouchers, now that was a JOKE !

Archived