BOOM - Affordable housing blown up and more youth condemend to homelessness

Chantry house in Jordanthorpe was blown up yesterday and razed to the ground.

Even more affordable housing was lost.

The waiting list for council housing grows further by the day, and the irresponsible elders of this city keep destroying housing. Meaning there is even less to go around.

Homelessness in the city shall increase further still.

With the largest council housing wasting list in the country, it beggars belief that we are knocking housing down, when we should be building a minimum of 50000 units of housing in order to meet the demand and improve the lives of the residents of our city.

According to the council they were old (built 1967), there was no demand, and suffered with damp and poor insulation.

Buildings like this don't stand forever without significant costs to maintain them.

No demand?

What did they do?, make it a 65+ year olds only block?

Sometimes I despair for this city I really do. The social problems it is creating for itself are of immense proportion.

It does seem like an odd decision to demolish a building with relatively minor problems, as long as there are homeless people there really is no excuse. The damp and insulation issues could be remedied, this would cost admittedly cost but with rent being so high the expense would be recouped in time and would offer a preferable and less expensive alternative.

Isn't it cheaper to build new than renovate some times because new build is VAT exempt...I dunno.

It can be, it would depend on the level of renovation that's involved, if the building in question is structurally sound then I'm sure it would be much cheaper to renovate to a decent standard than to replace the same number of dwellings of a similar size.

As I don't know the details it's difficult to know what the reason for the demolition was, I can only assume that it has more to do with the politics than any common sense reason.

the problem is no one wants to live in these high rise flats and they are both hard to police and become criminal play grounds.

there is nothing wrong with raising these eyesores! people need quality housing, not concrete monstrosities.

the problem is no one wants to live in these high rise flats and they are both hard to police and become criminal play grounds.

there is nothing wrong with raising these eyesores!

I have heard to the contrary, the woman at Urban splash's funky mortgage workshop told me city living in streets in the sky was the future, that it was highly desirable, and that a bedsit was a bargain at only £90k. And that if I bought now, the government would stump up my deposit!

Archived