How do I go about writing a will?

Do I go to a solicitor..( expensive?) would it be better for my hubby and me to have separate ones or a joint one.

Am I right in thinking we could DIY it?. It is costly?

As a 62 year old, and having seen some family's come to blows over the family estate, I would urge you to have it done professionaly. We had ours done some years ago for £50 - £25 each, it's a legal document and they are retained by the solicitors office, you get copies for yourself. It will save your family a load of problems, especialy if you have something to leave them.

Angel.

As a 62 year old, and having seen some family's come to blows over the family estate, I would urge you to have it done professionaly. We had ours done some years ago for £50 - £25 each, it's a legal document and they are retained by the solicitors office, you get copies for yourself. It will save your family a load of problems, especialy if you have something to leave them.

Angel.

Thanks Angel, I think we were leaning towards the legal way, did you pick a solicitor off the net?

What problem is there with this PeteMorris?

Ummmm....An executor will have 'total' control of all of your financial affairs, access to all possible documentation, even access to your bank details. If they choose to, they can deny access to those documents.

This can leave the door open to misuse, coersion and or fraud.

This has lead to my late aunts estate being left solely to executors, to the tune of £350k by fraudulent means.

We are fighting this case, but being blocked at every turn because we have no access to any documentation without the executors permission. It's a nightmare!

Ummmm....An executor will have 'total' control of all of your financial affairs, access to all possible documentation, even access to your bank details. If they choose to, they can deny access to those documents.

This can leave the door open to misuse, coersion and or fraud.

This has lead to my late aunts estate being left solely to executors, to the tune of £350k by fraudulent means.

We are fighting this case, but being blocked at every turn because we have no access to any documentation without the executors permission. It's a nightmare!

OMG, thanks for the warning..:)

You can't tar everyone with the same brush

Wouldn't you rather be aware of the possible dangers. It's not taring everyone with the same brush.

However if I had my way, I would make it illegal to be executor and a beneficiary of a will. Google it! Fraud is rife.

Thanks Angel, I think we were leaning towards the legal way, did you pick a solicitor off the net?

Before my good lady was made redundant for the third time, she worked for a short while in a solicitors office - Receptionist. So we used them, it was conveniant.

Angel.

Archived